Islands, Bay of (bay)
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
205 x 142 mm. A view from the shore looking out towards the Bay, with islands dimly visible in the distance. The Bay of Islands is a ‘drowned river’ system containing about 150 small islands which lies on the east coast of North Auckland between Whangerei and Whangaroa. The first European to visit it was Captain Cook in 1769, and in the nineteenth century it became a watering place for whalers.
242 x 184 mm. A view looking across a field with farm buildings at the right of the picture and the Bay, studded with islands beyond. The Treaty of Waitangi was signed by Captain William Hobson (on the British Government's behalf) and a gathering of Maori chiefs, on February 6, 1840, establishing Crown Sovereignty (with 'extreme reluctance') over the already widely settled islands of New Zealand.
201 x 151 mm. Showing a small township on the waterside at the Bay of Islands. Situated on the west coast of Newfoundland this large estuary forms the mouth of the River Humber.
[No print]. Missing.
Landscape format. Mouth of the Humber River is just beyond where the houses are.