Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Calcutta (inhabited place)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 43 Collections and/or Records:

  • 1
  • 2
 Item

[Alliance Bank of Simla, Fancy Lane, Council House Street], 1890 - 1899

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/22
Scope and Contents

170x247mm. View of the four storey brick building of the Alliance Bank of Simla, situated in Fancy Lane at the N. end of Council House Street. Date of construction unknown, (Massey p.89). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston &Hoffmann.

Dates: 1890 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Another view of Esplanade E. and Tank, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/8
Scope and Contents

287x174mm. View from Chowringhee Road looking N.W. across the Dhurrumtollah Tank towards Government House and Scott Thomson's Corner (see Y3022AA/59-61). The commercial premises seen in the preceding print can also be seen here, with the addition of Madeley & Co. and Mountain's Family Hotel, on the site later to be occupied by Thacker, Spink & Co., (Massey p.95).

Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Bishop's Palace, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/54
Scope and Contents

151x97mm. View looking N. along Chowringhee Road, with the main facade of the Bishop's Palace in the right foreground. This substantial mansion, with its hexastyle Ionic portico and colonnade raised on a rusticated arcade, was at one time the property of William Wilberforce Bird and was purchased for the church by Bishop Wilson in 1849, (Massey p.112).

Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Bristol Hotel, Chowringhee Road], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/11
Scope and Contents

282x207mm. View from the street of the Bristol Hotel, a two storey terrace roofed building with commercial premises occupying most of the ground floor. Situated at No. 1 Chowringhee Road at the junction with Esplanade Row East, the Bristol had previously operated under the names of the Palace Hotel and the Hotel D’Europe, (Massey p.102).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Dalhousie Square E., looking S, 1910

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/39
Scope and Contents

286x227mm. View looking S. along Dalhousie Square (probably from the steeple of St Andrew's Church) and along Old Court House Street. The premises of Smith, Stanistreet & Co. can be seen in the left foreground. In the right background is the tower of the Telegraph Office, (Massey p.56).

Dates: 1910
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Dalhousie Square Tank, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/36
Scope and Contents 287x194mm. View from the W. side of Dalhousie Square looking N.E. across the tank. At the extreme left the E. end of the Bengal Secretariat can be seen, and next to it St Andrew's Church ('The Scotch Kirk'), modelled on St Martin in the Fields in London and built 1815-18. Along the E. side of the square can be seen the premises of J.B. Norton & Sons (plumbers and contractors), the West End Watch Company, Smith Stanistreet and Company, and Dwarkin's Musical Depot, founded by Dwarkanath...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Department of Commerce and Industry, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/21
Scope and Contents

281x217mm. View looking N. along Council House Street, showing the E. facade of the Department of Commerce and Industry built on the site of the old Foreign Office. A two storey brick building with a terrace roof, the Department has an arcade running along the ground storey, with a colonnade of Tuscan columns above. The facade of the building is broken by three pavilions, those at the ends being pedimented. Date of construction unknown, (Massey p.70).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Esplanade E., old tank filled in, now the Tramway Co.'s Esplanade junction. (Before shelter was built), 1912

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/9
Scope and Contents

291x173mm. View N.W. across the Maidan from Chowringhee Road looking towards Government House in the distance. The old Dhurrumtollah Tank is now the tramway junction, with the Curzon Gardens laid out beyond. Esplanade Mansions can be seen under construction at the site of Scott Thomson's Corner (see Y3022AA/61), and the Foreign and Military Secretariat dominates Esplanade Row, (Massey p.97).

Dates: 1912
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Great Eastern Hotel, as it was, 1880

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/44
Scope and Contents 147x97mm. View looking N. along Old Court House Street, with St Andrew's Church visible in the distance on the skyline, and the Great Eastern Hotel running along the right hand side of the road beyond the premises of Guthbertson and Harper. The frontage of the hotel occupies Old Court House Street between British Indian Street and Waterloo Street (seen here in the foreground). At the junction with these streets the building curves round, supported on Tuscan columns running through two...
Dates: 1880
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Hotel Continental, Chowringhee Road], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/16
Scope and Contents 284x190mm. View of the W. facade of the Hotel Continental and Cafe Royal, a long two storey, terrace roofed building looking out over the Maidan from the N. end of Chowringhee Road, with commercial premises occupying much of the ground floor. The hotel was established in 1874 by F. Boscolo and taken over by Macketich John (former secretary of the Grand Hotel) in 1916. Massey reproduces an engraving of the building occupying the site before the hotel was built. For a modern view, see...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Howrah Bridge, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/17
Scope and Contents

283x216mm. View looking E. across the Howrah Bridge towards Calcutta, from Howrah. The 1,530 foot bridge was built on floating pontoons (clearly seen here) in order to obviate possible silting which permanent piers might have caused. It was designed by Sir Bradford Leslie and erected in 1874. It was replaced by a cantilever bridge in 1943, (Massey p.48).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Interior, banyan tree, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/40
Scope and Contents

290x225mm. View showing the central root system of the tree seen in Y3022BB/39, (Massey p.20).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

McLeod & Co. new premises, Dalhousie Square W, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/23
Scope and Contents 296x226mm. View of McLeod House at 28 Dalhousie Square West. The four storey office block is heavily rusticated on all floors, with the main facade broken by a massive order of Roman Ionic attached columns which run through three storeys. McLeod House was completed in 1917 on the site of the former Mercantile Bank, the firm having previously occupied premises at 31 Dalhousie Square. Founded by C.C. (later Sir Charles) McLeod in 1889, and originally operating from premises in Mangoe Lane, the...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Old Race Stand, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/36
Scope and Contents

219x133mm. View of the old race stand, probably taken in the 1880s. The first race meetings in Calcutta took place in 1803 in the face of Governor Wellesley's disapproval, although the racecourse at the S.W. corner of the Maidan was not laid out until 1819. The dates of the construction and demolition of this building have not been established, (Massey p.3).

Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Old view of Eden Gardens, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/42
Scope and Contents

282x190mm. View looking northwards across the Eden Gardens, with the masts of shipping moored on the Hooghly visible in the distance. The gardens are situated just north of Fort William on a piece of land bounded by Strand Road, Auckland Road and Eden Gardens Road. The gardens were laid out with funds supplied by the Eden sisters (sisters of the Earl of Auckland, Governor-General 1836-42). In the foreground stands the statue of Sir William Peel V.C., (Massey p.18).

Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Old view of Government House, south aspect, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/1
Scope and Contents 149xl00 mm. View looking N along Old Court House Street towards Government House. Designed by Charles Wyatt of the Bengal Engineers and built for the Marquis of Wellesley between 1799 and 1803, the house was modelled on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire and consists of a central area with a wing at each corner joined to the central structure by four curving passages. Above the apsideal termination of the centre of the S facade is a dome, placed on the building soon after its construction to...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Old view of the Bengal Club, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/30
Scope and Contents 309x109mm. View of the Chowringhee facade of the Bengal Club. The club was founded in 1827, its first home being in Gordon's Buildings, Esplanade East. From 1829-45 its clubhouse was in Tank Square (later Dalhousie Square). In the latter year it moved into the buildings at 33 Chowringhee Road seen here. This was the house lived in by Lord Macaulay while Law Member of the Supreme Council from 1834-38. The buildings were previously two private residences (nos. 1 and 1/1Russell Street). The...
Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Old view of the Medical College Hospital, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/48
Scope and Contents

289x211mm. View from College Street of the S. facade of the Medical College Hospital, which has a rusticated basement storey with a colonnade running along the full extent of the range above. In the centre is an octostyle portico with columns carrying palm leaf capitals, with pavilions at either end of the building. The hospital was designed and erected by the firm of Burn & Co., and built between 1848-52, (Massey p.17).

Dates: 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

Palm Avenue, Botanical Gardens, 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/41
Scope and Contents

284x231mm. View looking along the avenue of palmyra palms near the Howrah Gate entrance in the N.W. corner of the Botanical Gardens, (Massey p.2).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Federico Peliti, Government Place East], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/53
Scope and Contents 286x230mm. View from Government Place of the tea rooms and restaurant of Federico Peliti, a two storey building at 11 Government Place East, with much decorative ironwork and a covered porch leading from the main entrance to the street. Federico Peliti came to India from Italy in 1870 as Chief Confectioner to the Viceroy, Lord Mayo. After Mayo's assassination in 1872 Peliti went into business on his own account, with premises at 11 Esplanade Row. He moved into the buildings seen here in...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of G.F. Kellner & Co., Wine Merchants, 32 Chowringhee Road], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/29
Scope and Contents

284x209mm. Showing the Chowringhee Road premises of G.F. Kellner, a handsome two storey building erected on the site of a house damaged in the earthquake of 1897. The business was founded c.1857 and later became proprietors of and caterers to refreshment rooms and dining cars on several Indian railways, (Massey p.106).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Hall and Anderson, Department Store, junction of Chowringhee Road and Park Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022BB/28
Scope and Contents

285x192mm. View from Chowringhee Road looking S., with the premises of Hall and Anderson at the junction with Park Street. The store is a two storey brick building and was, according to Massey, the first shop to be built in this area, completed about 1911. It was erected on the site of the godown of a French liquor agent named Dollet. The firm of Hall and Anderson was founded in 1891, (Massey p.109).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Hamilton & Co., 8 Old Court House Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/42
Scope and Contents 292x241mm. View from the street of the imposing facade of the jewellers Hamilton & Co., a three storey white building, with pedimented windows separated by Ionic pilasters, and with much decorative ironwork on the verandah and covered entrance. The firm was founded in 1808 and run by the Remfrey family from 1835-1900. It became a limited company in 1919. As one of the premier jewellers in Calcutta, Hamilton's were responsible in the early years of the19th century for the auctioning of...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Mackenzie, Lyall & Co., Lyon's Range], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/37
Scope and Contents 195x143mm. View of the three storey building called 'The Exchange', and housing the premises of Mackenzie, Lyall & Co., auctioneers and contractors. The precise site of this building has not been located. Massey, who reproduces a painting of this building as well as the photograph, places it in Dalhousie Square. Macmillan p.106 gives the address as Lyon's Range, facing the lane which runs from there to the N.E. corner of the square. The firm of Mackenzie, Lyall was founded by Murdoch...
Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 Item

[Premises of Ranken & Co., 4 Old Court House Street], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/43
Scope and Contents

241x270mm. View from the street of Ranken & Co., a heavy, three storey brick building with a covered porch projecting out over the pavement from the main entrance. This firm of tailors was founded in 1770 and became a limited company in 1920, (Massey p.65).

Dates: 1918
Conditions Governing Access: From the Fonds: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
  • 1
  • 2