Western Cape, Province of the (province)
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
193 x 125 mm. A view looking south-west along Adderley Street from the corner of the Parade, with hansom cabs lining the street and part of the Standard Bank Buildings (1883) visible at the left of the print.
192 x 126 mm. A view looking along an avenue of fir trees at Bishop's Court, a farm and vineyard between Kirstenbosch and Claremont originally named Bosheuval. Bought by Bishop Gray in 1848, it was planned to use the house for a school and was so employed until 1851 when the Collegiate School moved to Woodlands at Rondebosch.
190 x 126 mm. Showing a wagon and a span of oxen descending a narrow steep mountain road surrounded by dense woodland. This is probably the Homtini Pass on the Upper Road to George the building of which was largely due to the determination of Henry Barrington (1808-1882) a farmer and landowner near Knysna.
191 x 126 mm. A view looking along the oaklined avenue in the Botanical Gardens with part of the government buildings visible at the left of the print.
193 x 127 mm. Showing the north-east facade of the Houses of Parliament.
191 x 126 mm. Showing the waterfall and narrow river gorge on the Keerom River near George.
191 x 126 mm. Showing one of the lakes near Knysna, surrounded by cliffs and hills.
192 x 127 mm. A general view looking over the houses of Kynsna towards the lagoon and the sea beyond Kynsna Heads.
193 x 127 mm. A view looking along a tree-lined road at Wynberg near Cape Town, with Devil's Peak in the background.
188 x 126 mm. A view looking along the track leading into the rocky pass through the Swartberg Mountains, with a few figures in the foreground.
184 x 127 mm. A view looking northwards along the waterfront at Simonstown towards the west dockyard, with a steamer in dock on the slipway and the mast house (with small square tower) beyond. On a slight rise behind the town is the Wesleyan Chapel.
192 x 126 mm. A view from north of Cape Town looking westwards towards Table Mountain and the Lion's Head, with the western outskirts of the town visible at the left of the print.