Northern Territory (territory)
Found in 28 Collections and/or Records:
204 x 139 mm. A view showing a small, tree-lined river, with two horses standing midstream. Part of some farm building are visible behind trees at the right of the picture.
206 x 139 mm. A view across a small river showing farm buildings on a slightly raised plateau above the water.
205 x 139 mm. Another view, taken from across the river and showing the same farm photographed in Y3083B/6, with buildings on the skyline.
204 x 137 mm. A view showing a rowing boat, with two men and two children, near the bank of a wide river. The river is unidentified, but possibly the Victoria River.
200 x 135 mm. A view of a small steamboat on an unidentified river. As the boat is called ‘Victoria’ this might indicate that the river is the Victoria River, the longest in the Northern Territory.
A wattle E.J.D discovered growin (sic) on the Victoria River and called after him by the Director of Kew Gardens 'Acacia Dunni', 1886 - 1920
191 x 198 mm. Showing Edward John Dunn standing beside two young wattle trees.
250 x 165 mm. This bark painting from Australia's Northern Territory is shown by Aboriginal healers to young men on being accepted into society after their initiation rites. The painting indicates the paths that are taken by certain Aboriginal families into a central corroboree ground, in this case situated in the Whistle Duck country. Produced by the Australian Information Service.
77 x 81 mm. Showing Edward John Dunn standing beside two young wattle trees.
205 x 138 mm. A view showing part of Fort Hill and looking out towards the harbour on the west side of the point. In the foreground stands a white house with banana trees growing in the garden. With a steamer in the harbour.
201 x 136 mm. A view of Fort Hill from the west, and showing the westward side of the original settlers’ camp site. With Government House standing on the plateau overlooking the port.
201 x 137 mm. A general view of wooden huts and shacks among scrubland, exact location unidentified. From 1872 Darwin had several goldrushes, which continued off and on until the late 1890s. These were precipitated when gold was noticed in the holes that were being dug for the new telegraph system between 1870-1872.
205 x 139 mm. A view of an unidentified building, a store possibly, with horses, carts and Aboriginal Australians standing in front. In the background a Chinese labourer can be identified by his hat.
206 x 139 mm. A view showing wooden cabins standing above a small river.
206 x 139 mm. A view showing a small herd of horses grazing on lightly wooded land, with four scattered figures surrounding them.
204 x 139 mm. A photograph of two men, one carrying an axe, standing beside a small wagon in front of a river or lake, at an unidentified location. The man standing at the left bears a considerable resemblance to the man standing at the right of the picture in Y3083B/1.
These files include annual reports, accompanied in some cases by explanatory letters, reports of annual general meetings, statements of accounts and other papers.
204 x 138 mm. A view showing three European men standing, and four Aboriginal Australians sitting in an orchard.
205 x 139 mm. A view looking out towards Frances Bay, with Fort Hill at the right, and a road running across the foreground of the picture. Photographs 3, 4 and 5 form an overlapping panorama of Fort Hill (although taken at different times: a hut is present on the foreshore in Y3083A/3 but not in Y3083A/4).
250 x 165 mm. Aboriginal rock paintings at the Escarpment on the Arnhem Land plateau, Northern Territory. Produced by the Australian Information Service.
204 x 139 mm. A view showing a small waterfall dropping into a large pool surrounded by cliffs. The caption for this print is taken from ‘In Australian Tropics’ by Alfred Searcy (London 1907), where the same photograph is used opposite page 221. The Edith River, about 140 miles SSE of Darwin, drops from below Mt. Todd, until it becomes part of the Ferguson River.
203 x 137 mm. A view of the wharf curving out into the bay, with shipping moored at the end, and a railway line running along its length. The wharf was completed in 1887 at a cost of £70,000. The present wharf on the same site is called the Stokes Hill Wharf and is situated on the other side of Frances Bay to Fort Hill.
205 x 139 mm. A view of the harbour and town looking down from Fort Hill. The picture shows ships at anchor, and warehouses and boat sheds on the shore, with Government House on the hill overlooking the bay at the left of the picture. A similar photograph, also by Foëlsche, but probably taken at an earlier date, appears in Alfred Searcy’s ‘In Australian Tropics’ (London 1907).
Ten mounted prints, uncaptioned and measuring approximately 205 x 140 mm. showing views of the harbour and town, and of the gold mining districts inland.
Ten mounted prints, uncaptioned and measuring approximately 205 x 140 mm.