South Africa (nation)
Found in 41 Collections and/or Records:
115 x 94 mm. Showing a Cape Government Railways steam locomotive pulling out of Cape Town station.
111 x 85 mm. A view looking south east along Adderley Street with tramlines and horse carts on the roadway.
115 x 91 mm. A view looking south east along Adderley Street and showing the Standard Bank (opened in 1883) and the Mansion House Buildings (1898) at the junction with Darling Street. With horse carts and cabs parked in the foreground.
190 x 144 mm. Showing the market square at Aliwal North with a bullock team and wagon in the foregrond. Founded in 1849, the town is situated on the Orange River and takes its name from the Battle of Aliwal, fought in India in January 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War.
200 x 142 mm. A view from a neighbouring hill looking over Beaufort West to the Karoo beyond. The town lies 260 miles east north east of Cape Town and became, in 1839, the first municipality in South Africa.
287 x 172 mm. A view looking down on the Buffalo River and wharves at East London, with two steamers moored in the foreground and the sea in the distance.
20 x 136 mm. A view looking over small homesteads and gardens with the Stormberg Mountains in the background. Founded in 1844, the town was originally called Kupdrift.
Cape Govt. [i.e. Government] Railways Dining saloon train. Interior of the dining saloon, 1900 - 1910
195 x 148 mm. A view looking along the wood panelled saloon car interior with tables laid for a meal.
194 x 138 mm. A view looking south across Cape Town towards Table Mountain with the old Malay cemetery in the foreground.
196 x 136 mm. A view looing down on to the Victoria Road which follows the rocky coastline from Cape Town to Camp's Bay, with the pinnacles of the Twelve Apostles on the skyline.
191 x 136 mm. A view looking along the docks with a steamer moored on either side of the wharf and carts, hansoms and a railway locomotive in the foregound.
199 x138 mm. A view looking along the treelined avenue which runs south east from the Parliament Buildings.
199 x 200 mm. A view from Grave Street showing the south and east facades of the Parliament buildings, opened by Sir Hercules Robinson in 1885. These buildings, planned by H.S. Greaves, supplanted an earlier design by Charles Freeman. The foundation stone for this original building was laid in 1875 but shortly after construction began major problems with the foundations arose and the design was cancelled.
141 x 192 mm. Showing the tree-lined stream leading to a farmhouse and hills. This is presumably the Dwars River on which the town of Ceres, in the Western Cape lies.
196 x 121 mm. Showing the main street in Cradock (on the Great Fish River 120 miles north of Port Elizabeth) with the Masonic Hotel in the foreground and the church beyond.
191 x 143 mm. Showing the East London Town (now City) Hall, a verandahed stone building with a clocktower set at one corner. Designed by Edwin Page in 1893 and completed in 1899, it is situated between Argyle and Buxton Streets.
195 x 146 mm. A view looking along a path in the garden, with neatly laid out trees and shrubs along its borders. The gardens, founded in 1872, were taken up in the early years of the twentieth century to be replaced by the Urquhart Park Rugby and Cricket Ground.
281 x 186 mm. A view from a field beside the road which leads into the High Street. A prominent landmark is Church Square with the Tower of St. George's Cathedral on the left and that of the Town Hall on the right. On the High Street at the nearer end of Church Square is the Railway Hotel.
283 x 205 mm. Showing African and European cooks and packers at work in a canning plant on a Cecil Rhodes model farm.
285 x 205 mm. Showing African workers packing fruit into boxes in a warehouse on one of the model farms set up by Cecil Rhodes in the Drakenstein Valley.
290 x 201 mm. A view from the garden looking down the hillside to Groot Schuur the residence of the South African Prime Minister. The old Dutch colonial building (originally a granary) was gutted by fire in 1896 shortly after Cecil Rhodes had purchased it. The buildings as seen here embody the alterations designed by Sir Hebert Baker.
197 x 142 mm. Showing workers carrying boxes of fruit to the door of a freight truck in south-west Cape Province.
197 x 141 mm. Showing labourers at work in a field of vines, with baskets of grapes standing in the foreground.
195 x 137 mm. Showing a row of large wooden trays filled with drying plums.
199 x 147 mm. A view looking down onto a network of railway lines, factory buildings and plant at Kimberley with part of an excavated pit (?the 'Big Hole') visible at the right of the print. De Beers Consolidated Mines was the company formed by Cecil Rhodes, Alfred Beit and others in 1888 which took over the De Beers, Kimberley, Bultfontein and Dutoitspan mines.