South Africa (nation)
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
A seated half length portrait of Sir Cristoffel Joseph Brand (1797-1875) dressed in judges robes and wig. Born in Simonstown, Brand was admitted to the Cape Bar in 1821. Brand served as the first Speaker in the Cape Parliament from 1854-1874 and was a noted advocate and journalist.
A half length seated studio portrait of Henry Hall (1815-1882) of the Royal Engineers Department wearing uniform. Originally apprenticed to an engineer, Hall entered Government service as a foreman in the Royal Engineer Department in 1839 and was ordered to the Cape in 1842. He left the colony for health reasons in 1852 but returned in 1853 and was promoted Clerk of Works in 1858, finally leaving the Cape in 1860. Hall was a regular contributor to ‘The Cape Monthly Magazine’.
A photographic copy of a lithograph showing Prince Alfred Ernest Albert (1844-1900) standing against a background of cliffs. Educated for the Navy, Prince Alfred was commissioned into the ‘Euryalus’ in 1858 and while serving on the ship visited South Africa in 1860. During 1867-1871 he made a world cruise aboard ‘Galatea’ and commanded the Channel Squadron from 1883-1884. He was Commander-in-Chief in the Mediterranean from 1887-89 and at Devonport from 1890-1893.
A half length studio portrait showing Rivers seated in an armchair. Rivers (1785-1861) entered the home civil service of the East India Company in 1808 and came to the Cape in 1816 as acting Wharfmaster of Table Bay. He served as Landdrost of the Albany District 1821-1825 in which year he was relieved from his post and transferred to Swellendam. He was appointed Treasurer of Cape Colony in 1842 and Paymaster General in 1851.
A half length studio portrait. Porter (1805-1880) was called to the Irish Bar in 1831 and practiced there before becoming Attorney General at the Cape 1839-1866. He was on sick leave 1862-1864. He served on the Legislative Assembly 1869-1872 and left the Cape in the following year.
A half length seated portrait of Sir Richard Southey. For another portrait of Southey see Y305L/21.
A half length seated studio portrait of Sir Robert Henry Wynyard in uniform. Wynyard (1802-1864) was commissioned as an ensign into the 58th Foot in 1819 and later served in Māori War of 1845-47. He was stationed in Australia 1847-1851 and again in New Zealand from 1851-1858 (Lieutenant Governor, New Ulster Province 1851-1853). From 1859-1863 he was Lieutenant Governor of the Cape.
A half length seated studio portrait of Sir Walter Currie (1819-1872). Born in France, Currie was brought by his father to the Cape in 1820. His early days were spent farming but he volunteered for service and became commanding officer of the Albany Mounted Police in 1852, continuing to serve when this body was enlarged and renamed the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police in 1855. He was appointed Agent for the High Commissioner in Basutoland in 1868 and retired in 1870.
Sir William Hodges, Knt. Chief Justice of the Colony and President of the Legislative Council , 1859
A portrait showing Sir William Hodges, wearing wig and gown, seated on a large padded chair. Called to the Bar in 1833, Hodges (1808-1868) was Recorder at Poole from 1846-1857 and in 1848 drafted the bill for The Public Health Act. He was appointed Chief Justice at the Cape in 1858 and held the post until his death.
A half length, seated, studio portrait of Sydney Smith Bell. Bell (1805-1879) was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple in 1839 and appointed a Puisne Judge at the Cape in 1851. He was Chief Justice of Cape Colony from 1868-73 and was the author of ‘The Colonial Administration of Great Britain’ (London 1859).
200 x 135 mm. Somewhat clumsy contemporary retouching has partially scalped the Prince’s horse’s mane.
150 x 105 mm. Missing from Copy B.
Copy A: 153 x 105 mm, all corners trimmed square. Copy B: 151 x 105 mm, top left and top right corners oval trimmed; the slightly narrower print results in the deletion of the two burghers, one at each end.
A view looking along Adderley Street from the top of the Custom House, with the Pagoda, Cape Town's first telegraph office, on the far side of the Parade and the tower of the Dutch Reformed Church beyond. There are hansom cabs lining the side of the road and a market in progress in the Parade. A photograph taken from a similar viewpoint to Y3049A/6.
A view looking down onto Cape Town from the Old Klaf Road with Table Bay beyond.