South Africa (nation)
Found in 104 Collections and/or Records:
193 x 125 mm. A view looking south-west along Adderley Street from the corner of the Parade, with hansom cabs lining the street and part of the Standard Bank Buildings (1883) visible at the left of the print.
192 x 126 mm. A view looking along an avenue of fir trees at Bishop's Court, a farm and vineyard between Kirstenbosch and Claremont originally named Bosheuval. Bought by Bishop Gray in 1848, it was planned to use the house for a school and was so employed until 1851 when the Collegiate School moved to Woodlands at Rondebosch.
190 x 123 mm. A view looking along the Vaal River towards the girder railway bridge near Barkly West, with ponies and traps on board the hand-operated pontoon ferry in the foreground.
190 x 126 mm. Showing a wagon and a span of oxen descending a narrow steep mountain road surrounded by dense woodland. This is probably the Homtini Pass on the Upper Road to George the building of which was largely due to the determination of Henry Barrington (1808-1882) a farmer and landowner near Knysna.
192 x 126 mm. Showing the girder bridge spanning a gorge on the railway line between Grahamstown and Port Alfred.
192 x 127 mm. Showing Bronkhorst Spruit in the foreground, crossed by the Pretoria - Middleburg Road in the background.
190 x 126 mm. A view looking inland along the Buffalo River from the east bank, with the hand-operated pontoon crossing the river in the middle ground.
191 x 124 mm. Showing a group of hunters seated in a semicircle on a hillside with the bodies of antelopes arranged in front of them.
192 x 126 mm. Showing miners and company employees grouped around the main shaft at the base of the Big Hole.
191 x 125 mm. A view looking south west along Church Street from its junction with Commercial Road, with St. Peter's Church and the Zulu War memorial in the left foreground.
192 x 125 mm. A view looking along Church Street East, Pretoria, towards Church Square, with two African women in the foreground.
192 x 125 mm. Showing the conservatory situated among lawns in St. George's Park.
191 x 126 mm. A general view of the town of Cradock, situated 120 miles north of Port Elizabeth, with the bridge over the Great Fish River in the foreground.
192 x 125 mm. Showing an ox-drawn wagon crossing a drift on a small river on the Umzinto road.
191 x 126 mm. A view looking along the wide unsurfaced street towards the Kaapsche Berg with the Royal Albert Hall (billiards, concerts and restaurant) in the right foreground and the Temperance Hotel at the farther end of the street.
193 x 124 mm. Showing labourers loading harvested cane on to a bullock cart.
191 x 125 mm. Showing winding gear and mining plant at the edge of the Big Hole, Kimberley.
190 x 125 mm. Showing the small settlement and mine workings at Devil's (or Duivel's) Kantoor near Barberton.
191 x 123 mm. A view looking along an unidentified street in Kimberley lined with the small single -storey premises of diamond brokers. Most of the owners are standing on the steps outside their offices posing for the photographer.
191 x 124 mm. Showing a sorter grading diamonds into piles of various sizes onto a long table, with a figure beside him entering details into a ledger.
190 x 124 mm. Showing excavated land, with winding gear on the lip of the hole in the background at the Du Toits Pan Mine in south east Kimberley.
190 x 124 mm. Showing the newly completed Dutch Reformed Church in Church square, with a wagon and a span of oxen drawn up in front of the building. The church, which was inaugurated in January 1885, replaced the one which was burned down in 1882.