Found in 44 Collections and/or Records:
170x247mm. View of the four storey brick building of the Alliance Bank of Simla, situated in Fancy Lane at the N. end of Council House Street. Date of construction unknown, (Massey p.89). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston &Hoffmann.
287x174mm. View from Chowringhee Road looking N.W. across the Dhurrumtollah Tank towards Government House and Scott Thomson's Corner (see Y3022AA/59-61). The commercial premises seen in the preceding print can also be seen here, with the addition of Madeley & Co. and Mountain's Family Hotel, on the site later to be occupied by Thacker, Spink & Co., (Massey p.95).
151x97mm. View looking N. along Chowringhee Road, with the main facade of the Bishop's Palace in the right foreground. This substantial mansion, with its hexastyle Ionic portico and colonnade raised on a rusticated arcade, was at one time the property of William Wilberforce Bird and was purchased for the church by Bishop Wilson in 1849, (Massey p.112).
282x207mm. View from the street of the Bristol Hotel, a two storey terrace roofed building with commercial premises occupying most of the ground floor. Situated at No. 1 Chowringhee Road at the junction with Esplanade Row East, the Bristol had previously operated under the names of the Palace Hotel and the Hotel D’Europe, (Massey p.102).
286x227mm. View looking S. along Dalhousie Square (probably from the steeple of St Andrew's Church) and along Old Court House Street. The premises of Smith, Stanistreet & Co. can be seen in the left foreground. In the right background is the tower of the Telegraph Office, (Massey p.56).
281x217mm. View looking N. along Council House Street, showing the E. facade of the Department of Commerce and Industry built on the site of the old Foreign Office. A two storey brick building with a terrace roof, the Department has an arcade running along the ground storey, with a colonnade of Tuscan columns above. The facade of the building is broken by three pavilions, those at the ends being pedimented. Date of construction unknown, (Massey p.70).
Esplanade E., old tank filled in, now the Tramway Co.'s Esplanade junction. (Before shelter was built), 1912
291x173mm. View N.W. across the Maidan from Chowringhee Road looking towards Government House in the distance. The old Dhurrumtollah Tank is now the tramway junction, with the Curzon Gardens laid out beyond. Esplanade Mansions can be seen under construction at the site of Scott Thomson's Corner (see Y3022AA/61), and the Foreign and Military Secretariat dominates Esplanade Row, (Massey p.97).
283x216mm. View looking E. across the Howrah Bridge towards Calcutta, from Howrah. The 1,530 foot bridge was built on floating pontoons (clearly seen here) in order to obviate possible silting which permanent piers might have caused. It was designed by Sir Bradford Leslie and erected in 1874. It was replaced by a cantilever bridge in 1943, (Massey p.48).
290x225mm. View showing the central root system of the tree seen in Y3022BB/39, (Massey p.20).
219x133mm. View of the old race stand, probably taken in the 1880s. The first race meetings in Calcutta took place in 1803 in the face of Governor Wellesley's disapproval, although the racecourse at the S.W. corner of the Maidan was not laid out until 1819. The dates of the construction and demolition of this building have not been established, (Massey p.3).
282x190mm. View looking northwards across the Eden Gardens, with the masts of shipping moored on the Hooghly visible in the distance. The gardens are situated just north of Fort William on a piece of land bounded by Strand Road, Auckland Road and Eden Gardens Road. The gardens were laid out with funds supplied by the Eden sisters (sisters of the Earl of Auckland, Governor-General 1836-42). In the foreground stands the statue of Sir William Peel V.C., (Massey p.18).
289x211mm. View from College Street of the S. facade of the Medical College Hospital, which has a rusticated basement storey with a colonnade running along the full extent of the range above. In the centre is an octostyle portico with columns carrying palm leaf capitals, with pavilions at either end of the building. The hospital was designed and erected by the firm of Burn & Co., and built between 1848-52, (Massey p.17).
284x231mm. View looking along the avenue of palmyra palms near the Howrah Gate entrance in the N.W. corner of the Botanical Gardens, (Massey p.2).
284x209mm. Showing the Chowringhee Road premises of G.F. Kellner, a handsome two storey building erected on the site of a house damaged in the earthquake of 1897. The business was founded c.1857 and later became proprietors of and caterers to refreshment rooms and dining cars on several Indian railways, (Massey p.106).
[Premises of Hall and Anderson, Department Store, junction of Chowringhee Road and Park Street], 1918
285x192mm. View from Chowringhee Road looking S., with the premises of Hall and Anderson at the junction with Park Street. The store is a two storey brick building and was, according to Massey, the first shop to be built in this area, completed about 1911. It was erected on the site of the godown of a French liquor agent named Dollet. The firm of Hall and Anderson was founded in 1891, (Massey p.109).
241x270mm. View from the street of Ranken & Co., a heavy, three storey brick building with a covered porch projecting out over the pavement from the main entrance. This firm of tailors was founded in 1770 and became a limited company in 1920, (Massey p.65).