Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
Monochrome photogravure postcard.
198 x 141 mm. A view from the garden looking towards the entrnce of the single storey brick building, opened in August 1905.
204 x 142 mm. A view from Nasamuze Hill looking over the township of Entebbe, with Lake Victoria, Bendigere and Tende Bay in the background. The town, laid out by Sir Harry Johnson, fits Sir Henry Hesketh Bell's description (Bell 1946 pp. 110-111) of the spot on his arrival as Commissioner in 1906.
196 x 142 mm. A view looking along the pier at Entebbe with SS 'Clement Hill' (in service 1906-1936) moored at the left and the SS 'Sybil' (in service 1904-1967) at the right. Firewood for the steamers is piled on the pier in the foreground and groups of passengers can be seen leaving the 'Clement Hill'.
205 x 145 mm. A view looking across the lawn towards the Government House. The annotation on the reverse reads: 'Facade overlooking view of the Lake [Victoria]. Note the lion cubs on the lawn'. The house was built by Captain Philip Osbert Gordon Usborne, a Royal Engineer selected by Bell as Director of Public Works in 1907. Photograph by Alfred Lobo.
192 x 140 mm. Showing a group of men and women gathered in front of Government House during an informal occasion. Sir Henry Hesketh Bell, the Governor, is seated on a step at the front of the group.
196 x 138 mm. Showing the single storey court house at Entebbe with two uniformed officials (unidentified) seated in a rickshaw in the foreground. The court was opended in April 1904.
200 x 142 mm. A view from the canoe landing west of the Pier showing the 'Clement Hill' and a smaller steam ferry moored at Jinja Pier. A group of passengers stands on the pier itself while in the foreground two Africans can be seen punting a long wooden canoe.
199 x 143 mm. A view looking back along the wide Kampala road towards Entebbe with a group of Ugandans lined across the road in the foreground. The neatly laid out group of huts to the right of the road is the Police and Marine Lines.
149 x 104 mm. A view looking out over Munyonyo Bay from the shore. Munyonyo is the landing place for Kampala, about eight miles to the north-west.
200 x 130 mm. A group portrait of Protectorate officials and Ugandan Kabakas and counsellors taken shortly after Bell's opening of the exhibition. Photograph probably by Alfred Lobo.
A collection of loose prints measuring approximately 200 x 145 mm, with handwritten captions on the reverse. Photographs are by Alfred Lobo of Entebbe (only one print is stamped with Lobo's name but it is likely that the rest of the prints are also by him.
194 x 142 mm. Showing the newly completed prison buildings with askaris guarding a group of convicts at work on the flowerbeds in front of the building. This is possibly the building mentioned by Hesketh Bell in his memoirs, (Bell 1946).
197 x 137 mm. Aview looking across the recently laid out lawns and flowerbeds of a house in Entebbe (exact location unknown) with other bungalows in the background.
149 x 104 mm. Showing George Wilson (1862-1943) seated in a rickshaw with four Ugandans in front and behind the vehicle. Wilson first came to East Africa in 1889, from 1890-1891 he was employed by the IBEA Co. and from 1902 until his retirement in 1909 was Deputy Commissioner, Uganda Protectorate.
181 x 106 mm. Showing a tennis court with a European group to one side and Lake Victoria in the background.
205 x 149 mm. A group photograph with Bell seated in the centre behind the 'Hesketh Bell Challenge Cup' presented by him in January 1909. W.H. Nicholson and Dr. H.B. Owen, joint winners of the new cup, which was played for on January 22 and 23, are seated on either side of Bell. Photograph by Alfred Lobo.
197 x 140 mm. A view looking along the Kampala Road from Entebbe with crowds of pedestrians in the middle distance.