Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Herstmonceux

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

 File

Correspondence on the move to Herstmonceux, 1946 - 1957

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/644
Scope and Contents Correspondence and papers regarding the transfer of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, and allied departments to Herstmonceux:(1) Correspondence, memoranda, manuscript notes and plans concerning the move, 1946-1948, including the following items:Memorandum from the Civil Engineer-in-Chief's office referring to estimates of costs, the Nautical Almanac Office, the Chronometer Department and the Solar Department Building.Letters to R. Atkinson from J.T. Williams, Admiralty;...
Dates: 1946 - 1957
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the Observatory's removal, 1946 - 1949

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 8/6
Scope and Contents Correspondence regarding the removal of the Royal Observatory to Herstmonceux, including letters from the public concerning the move; correspondence with the Admiralty; material relating to the agreement for the sale of Herstmonceux Castle; correspondence with P. Latham; a letter from the Bishop of Chichester regarding the chapel; correspondence regarding the developments which might prove detrimental to the Observatory; material on the housing of staff; correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb,...
Dates: 1946 - 1949
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.