Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
This small collection comprises material relating to Professor Lise Meitner, namely correspondence by her and concerning her.
Papers relating to Cockcroft, particularly his research work and correspondence with the Cavendish Laboratory, and lectures by and concerning him.
Lady Isabel Marian Schonland: papers, photographs and printed material relating to South African affairs
Personal papers and correspondence relating to Bruno and Marianne Pontecorvo and their family, including Bruno's scientific correspondence.
The material at Churchill Archives Centre comprises Walton's Cavendish Laboratory notebooks with associated papers and correspondence.
The papers include: physics notebooks; lecture and teaching notes, 1927-73; papers on the invention and patenting of the proximity fuze [proximity fuse]; copy of a paper by Professor John Cockcroft, "A General Account of Army Radar"; copy of the Los Alamos lectures on nuclear physics, 1943; journals from the Home Office Scientific Adviser's branch, 1961-66 and 1973; and a Home Office civil defence data book, as well as correspondence with John Maynard Keynes, 1936-1944.
The papers comprise diaries, correspondence, notebooks, official reports, articles, lectures, press cuttings and photographs, 1918 - 1973. The collection also contains recordings of lectures given by Ernest Rutherford in Göttingen, 1931- 1938.
Includes material relating to Marshall's work for the UKAEA and CEGB, copies of his correspondence, lectures and other papers
This collection consists solely of Feather's scientific papers and contains original experimental records and calculations, correspondence with other scientists, unpublished wartime reports and offprints of published papers.
The collection relates to Burcham's scientific career, especially his work in the high voltage laboratory under M L E Oliphant and P I Dee which was set up to pursue the findings of Sir John Cockcroft and E T S Walton in splitting atomic nuclei.
The papers consist of reports and correspondence on the development of nuclear physics in Britain, including: papers on nuclear physics at Oxford, during the 1950's and 1960's; papers on the National Institute for Research in Nuclear Science, 1957-60's; papers on the Nuclear Physics Board, 1960's; correspondence files, 1950's-1960's; Wilkinson's memoirs on his work at Cambridge and Oxford during the 1950's; some material on the (London) Physics Club.
These files mainly contain routine correspondence and reports regarding the early development of the atomic bomb.
Papers comprising laboratory notebooks, articles, lectures, correspondence and photographs.
Also includes records of the Kapitza Club, 1922-58 and 1966, and copy papers of the Maud Committee, 1940-1.
With offprints of papers by Ernest Rutherford, 1872-1913.
Scientific correspondence and papers, mainly on nuclear power.
The collection is divided into three sections:
Section A: Biographical
Section B: Publications, Speeches and Lectures
Section C: Correspondence
- Subject: Nuclear physics X
- Churchill Archives Centre 16
- Cambridge University Library 1
- ARCHON code (for CUL materials)
- Archives and MSS Dept. (GBR/0012) 1
- Physics 4
- Science 4
- Nuclear energy 2
- Second World War (1939-1945) 2
- Canada 1
- East West relations 1
- Ethnic groups 1
- France 1
- Interethnic relations 1
- Italy 1
- Nuclear bomb 1
- Nuclear disarmament 1
- Nuclear warfare 1
- Racial discrimination 1
- Radar 1
- Russia 1
- Scientists 1
- South Africa 1
- United States 1 ∧ less
- English 15
- German 2
- Cockcroft, John Douglas, Sir, 1897 - 1967 (Knight, nuclear physicist and first Master of Churchill College) 6
- Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell 2
- Meitner, Lise, 1878 - 1968 (Professor of Nuclear Physics) 2
- Thomson, George Paget, Sir, 1892 - 1975 (Knight, nuclear physicist) 2
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority 2
- Bretscher, Dr Egon, 1901 - 1973 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Burcham, William Ernest, 1913 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Feather, Norman, 1904 - 1978 (Professor, physicist) 1
- Hill, John McGregor, Sir, 1921 - 2008 (Knight, nuclear physicist) 1
- Hinton, Christopher, 1901 - 1983 (Baron Hinton of Bankside, nuclear engineer) 1
- Keynes, John Maynard, 1883 - 1946 (Baron Keynes, economist) 1
- Lawson, John David, 1923 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Marshall, Walters Charles, 1932 - 1996 (Baron Marshall of Goring, physicist) 1
- Pontecorvo, Bruno, 1913 - 1993 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Schonland, Lady Isabel Marian, 1896-1976 1
- Schonland, Sir Basil Ferdinand Jamieson, 1896-1972 (Knight, physicist) 1
- Shire, Edward Samuel, 1908 - 1978 (physicist) 1
- Thonemann, Peter Clive, 1917 (physicist) 1
- Walton, Ernest Thomas Sinton, 1903 - 1995 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Wilkinson, Denys Haigh, Sir, 1922 - 2016 (Knight, Professor of Physics) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.