Showing Collections: 1 - 15 of 15
Catalogue of Bibles in Young's possession, written on 239 blue slips and pasted into the volume, 94 folios. The price, provenance, and date of purchase are generally included. The bibles were donated to the Library with the catalogue in 1933.
Book of Psalms in shorthand, with a note at the front identifying the owner as John Chantlor.
With preface addressed to Sir Francis Walsingham as chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster (1587-90). Autograph.
Attributed to 'the late Joseph Fawcett'.
Made from a 13th century manuscript at S. Maria de Bona Spe, diocese of Cambrai, 17 folios.
Gustavus Adolphus Schutt Schneider: Selections from the Theological Correspondence of Fenton John Anthony Hort
A linguistic exposition upon 'Sixteen Hebrew Texts', 1759, and 'Illustration of the Decalogue', 1762, with a copy by Prettejohn of Matthias Wasmuth, 'Explicatio duplicis Accentuationis Decalogicae' (apparently an embellished extract from the Vindiciae S. Hebraeae Scripturae, Rostock, 1664).
Except in the case of Zephaniah, each book has a title page preceding the text of the commentary, on which a later hand has added lists of published commentaries and related works on the prophet in question, published between 1747 and 1817. There is no such list for Zechariah. The ascription is to Schroeder on all such title-pages, except those for Joel and Amos.
Notebooks and loose papers created and accumulated by the companies and committees engaged in the revision of the English Bible. The papers are mainly in English, with small amounts of French and Ancient Greek.
Notes and collations made for an intended edition of IV Esdras.
A list of scriptural references, arranged for the whole Bible verse by verse, with a few verses omitted, 195 folios. There are occasional footnotes and other annotations. At fo. 176 are annotations to various passages from Genesis to Isaiah. Inside the front cover is 'John Bell' and 'G. Dav[id] 25/11/22'.
- Subject: Bible X
- Religion 4
- Theology 4
- Apocryphal books 1
- Arabian Peninsula 1
- Poetry 1
- Hort, Fenton John Anthony, 1828-1892 (biblical scholar and theologian) 2
- Bensly, Robert Lubbock, 1831-1893 (Hebrew, Syriac, and Biblical scholar) 1
- Burkitt, Francis Crawford, 1864-1935 (biblical scholar) 1
- Ellicott, Charles John, 1819-1905 (Bishop of Gloucester) 1
- English Bible revision companies and committees 1
- Fawcett, Joseph, ? 1758-1804 (Presbyterian minister and poet) 1
- Lively, Edward, ? 1545-1605 (Hebraist) 1
- Prettejohn, John, fl 1760 1
- Schneider, Gustavus Adolphus Schutt, 1858-1941 (clergyman) 1
- Schroeder, Nicolaus Wilhelm, 1721-1798 (orientalist and librarian) 1
- Smith, William Robertson, 1846-1894 (theologian and Semitic scholar) 1
- University of Cambridge 1
- University of Oxford 1
- Willmet, Joannes, fl 1785 1
- Wright, William Aldis, 1831-1914 (literary and biblical scholar) 1
- Young, Arthur William, 1852-1936 (lawyer) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.