Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 25
Correspondence and papers concerning a volume of tributes to mark the eightieth birthday of Siegfried Sassoon
Correspondence and related papers concerning a volume of manuscript tributes compiled by Rupert Hart-Davis and Dennis Silk for presentation to Siegfried Sassoon on the occasion of his eightieth birthday. There are letters between the compilers discussing progress with the volume, and between Silk and a selection of those invited to contribute. The related items include photographic copies of some of the contributions.
Correspondence and related papers of Ian Davie, chiefly consisting of letters from Siegfried Sassoon
Letters addressed to Gilles David in response to enquiries made in the course of researching a thesis on Siegfried Sassoon
Correspondence between Siegfried Sassoon and Dennis Silk, together with poems, verse dialogues, newspaper cuttings, photographs and related items. The letters date between 1953 and 1967. They are from Sassoon, and addressed from Heytesbury, unless otherwise stated. A few were addressed jointly to Dennis and Diana Silk. There are three letters from Dennis Silk to Sassoon, and letters from a few other correspondents are included as enclosures.
Ten letters from Edmund Blunden to Siegfried Sassoon, with one from Blunden to Dennis Silk and one from Clare Ross to Sassoon.
In January 1957, Sassoon began corresponding with McFarlin, Rev. Mother Margaret Mary (McFarlin) of the Convent of the Assumption, a correspondence which led directly to his being received into the Roman Catholic Church in August of that year.
The collection largely comprises letters addressed to Sassoon although there are few other recipients such as Glen Byam Shaw and Georgiana Theresa Thornycroft, Siegfried Sassoon's mother. There are also some postcards; draft and unpublished copies of poems; bills; and other related papers.
A collection of 1094 letters, postcards and other items known as 'Sassoon's residual correspondence' although it does also include a number of items addressed to other persons particularly to his wife, Hester, and his mother, Theresa Thornycroft.
From John Betjeman (1), Alec Guinness (14), Ronald Knox (9) and Siegfried Sassoon (10). With related printed items.
With notes by Tomkinson concerning this relationship with Sassoon, letters and postcards from a few other correspondents, and printed items.
Four letters from Sassoon to Lane,
A collection of letters from Siegfried and Hester Sassoon (née Gatty) to members of the Gatty family. It consists of 66 letters, 3 cards, 1 photograph and 43 envelopes.
Correspondence, poems and other papers. Sassoon often issued his poems privately in limited editions, and some of these were seen through the press by A.T. Bartholomew, and later by Geoffrey Keynes. Some of the manuscripts therefore include their correspondence about publication, and transcripts by Keynes.
Sassoon met Hodson in June 1948 and began a correspondence which continued until his death in 1967. The collection consists of 38 letters from Sassoon to Hodson, with some additional enclosures.
Siegfried Sassoon: Letters to him from McFarlin, Rev. Mother Margaret Mary, Superior of the Convent of the Assumption, and nuns of Stanbrook Abbey, c.1930s-1960s
In January 1957, Sassoon began corresponding with McFarlin, Rev. Mother Margaret Mary (McFarlin) of the Convent of the Assumption, a correspondence which led directly to his being received into the Roman Catholic Church in August of that year. The collection consists of 570 letters.
These notebooks, loose drafts, letters and diaries of Siegfried Sassoon were purchased by Cambridge University Library in March 2006 from Roy Davids Ltd, acting on behalf of their owner George Sassoon, son of Siegfried Sassoon. They had formerly been in the possession of Sir Rupert Hart-Davis, who accumulated them in the process of editing Sassoon's diaries, letters and poems for publication.
A collection of 14 poems, handwritten by Sassoon and bearing his monogram. Fair copy with occasional corrections. Poems: 'Apologia', 'The Tasking', 'Another Spring', 'An Epitome', 'The Best of It', 'The Worst of It', 'The Half Century', 'Neighbours', 'A Reunion', 'Not Guilty', 'Human Bondage', 'Can it be...', 'The Offering' and 'Two Twinklings'. With a related letter from Sassoon to 'Tommy' [H.M. Tomlinson], Heytesbury, 1 Jan. 1953.
- Names: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) X
- Poetry 5
- First World War (1914-1918) 2
- British literature 1
- Cricket 1
- Poems 1
- Silk, Dennis Raoul Whitehall, 1931-2019 (schoolmaster and cricketer) 4
- Keynes, Sir Geoffrey Langdon, 1887-1982 (Knight, surgeon and bibliophile) 2
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director) 2
- Tomkinson, Cyril Edric, 1886-1968 (clergyman) 2
- Bartholomew, Augustus Theodore, 1882-1933 (librarian) 1
- Betjeman, Sir John, 1906-1984 (Knight, poet, author and broadcaster) 1
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (poet) 1
- Davie, Alexander Ian McNaughton, 1924-2000 (schoolteacher, civil servant and poet) 1
- Davis, Sir Rupert Charles Hart, 1907-1999 (Knight, author, editor and publisher) 1
- Davis, Sir Rupert Charles Hart-, 1907-1999 (publisher and editor) 1
- Guinness, Sir Alec, 1914-2000 (Knight, actor) 1
- Hodson, Haro, b 1923 (cartoonist and illustrator) 1
- Keynes, Geoffrey Langdon, Sir, 1887 - 1982 (Knight, surgeon and bibliophile) 1
- Knox, Ronald Arbuthnott, 1888 -1957 (Major, priest, author and Bible translator) 1
- Moore, Thomas Sturge, 1870-1944 (writer and wood engraver) 1
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron) 1
- Rosfelt, Alf, fl. 1971 (writer of a thesis on the poetry of Siegfried Sassoon) 1
- Royal Society of Literature 1
- Sassoon family 1
- Sassoon, Hester, 1906-1973 1
- Tomlinson, Henry Major, 1873-1958 (writer and traveller) 1
- Wyndham, John Max Henry Scawen, b 1948 (7th Baron Leconfield, 2nd Baron Egremont, biographer, novelist) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.