Showing Collections: 1 - 23 of 23
Correspondence with Geoffrey Keynes and James Basil, Librarian, Shrewsbury School.
Letters from A.E. Housman, including some to Sir Geoffrey Keynes, 1928-1930, mainly concerning editions of Housman's poetry, with other letters and Housman-related material dating from 1906 to 1978. Items 1-11 (excluding 10A) are bound into a volume marked 'Letters from A.E.H.' on the spine and inscribed inside as belonging to Sir Geoffrey Keynes. Items 10A and 12-19 have been loosely inserted into the volume.
Hassall died intestate. His working papers were taken to the Royal Society of Literature by his assistant Gillian Paterson, who arranged and (presumably) listed them. They were bought by CUL from Bloomsbury Book Auctions in 1992. They were housed in paper box files 1 25 and cartons A D, as listed. They have now been re boxed, in 28 boxes and one packet, which has involved some reorganisation of the material and hence some rearrangement and re numbering of the original list.
A manuscript comprising Computus Ecclesiasticus, Introductio ad Geographiam, Tractatus de Sphoera, Epitome Astronomia, and Astrolabium sev. Plani-Sphaerium.
Children's magazine produced by the Keynes family, under the editorship of Margaret Neville Keynes and including contributions from her brothers John Maynard and Geoffrey Keynes. The Gem was first produced on 7 January 1898, and ran to 11 numbers, before it became The Acorn in 1899. The editions contain stories, poems, editorials, and pen and watercolour drawings. There are also accompanying notes on The Gem and its successor publications.
Includes offprints of articles on John Clare by Mark Stoney.
Letters to Geoffrey Keynes from Rupert Brooke. Includes a few from Brooke's mother and one from Richard Halliburton
Letters from Rupert Brooke and from Brooke's mother.
Literary and business papers from Keynes's library, with artwork, Rupert Brooke poems, William Blake letter, etc.
A copy of Psyche, or the legend of love, 193 numbered pages, made by M. Heath from a copy sent to Dr Vaughan by the author. There is a frontispiece and three full-page illustrations, the latter probably by James Heath.
Correspondence, poems and other papers. Sassoon often issued his poems privately in limited editions, and some of these were seen through the press by A.T. Bartholomew, and later by Geoffrey Keynes. Some of the manuscripts therefore include their correspondence about publication, and transcripts by Keynes.
The manuscript of an unfinished review of Sir Geoffrey Keynes, ed., The works of Sir Thomas Browne, vol. I. This was the last piece written by Gosse before his death.
First version of an essay concerning James' visit to Cambridge in 1909.
Drafts and fair copies of writings and reviews, mainly on William Blake, Jane Austen, and medical subjects.
A calligraphic manuscript of Poetical works of the late Thomas Little, 124 numbered pages, executed by Ensign George Mackay. At the front of the volume is the bookplate of Lord Gray.
Manuscript and typescript correspondence regarding the seventieth birthday party for Sir Geoffrey Keynes, comprising mainly replies to invitations. Letters are to W.R. Le Fanu unless otherwise stated.
- Names: Keynes, Sir Geoffrey Langdon, 1887-1982 (Knight, surgeon and bibliophile) X
- Poetry 4
- Astronomy 1
- Calligraphy 1
- Geography 1
- Mathematics 1
- Bartholomew, Augustus Theodore, 1882-1933 (librarian) 2
- Brooke, Rupert Chawner, 1887-1915 (poet) 2
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 (author) 2
- Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) 2
- Bewick, Thomas, 1753-1828 (wood engraver) 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 (engraver, artist, and poet) 1
- Browne, Sir Thomas, 1605-1682 (Knight Physician and Author) 1
- Clare, John, 1793-1864 (poet, farm labourer and naturalist) 1
- David, Richard William, fl. 1934-1974 (publisher) 1
- Fanu, William Richard Le, 1904-1995 (librarian) 1
- Gosse, Sir Edmund William, 1849-1928 (Knight, writer) 1
- Hassall, Christopher Vernon, 1912-1963 (writer and librettist) 1
- Hayley, William, 1745-1820 (poet and biographer) 1
- Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936 (poet) 1
- Huntley, Frank Livingstone, b 1902 (academic) 1
- Johnston, Edward, 1872-1944 (calligrapher and designer) 1
- Keynes, John Maynard, 1883-1946 (Baron Keynes, economist) 1
- Keynes, Margaret Elizabeth, 1890-1974 (wife of Sir Geoffrey Keynes) 1
- Keynes, Margaret Neville, 1885-1970 (John Maynard Keynes' sister) 1
- Mackay, George, fl 1814 1
- Marsh, Sir Edward Howard, 1872-1953 (Knight, public servant and patron of the arts) 1
- Moore, Thomas, 1779-1852 (poet) 1
- Munby, Alan Noel Latimer, 1913-1974 (librarian, bibliographer, historian and book collector) 1
- Osler, Grace Linzee Revere, 1854-1928 (wife of Sir William Osler) 1
- Sanderson, Thomas James Cobden-, 1840-1922 (bookbinder printer) 1
- Sayle, Charles Edward, 1864-1924 (librarian) 1
- Tighe, Mary, 1772-1810 (poet) 1 ∧ less