Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Papers relating to Cockcroft, particularly his research work and correspondence with the Cavendish Laboratory, and lectures by and concerning him.
The papers include: physics notebooks; lecture and teaching notes, 1927-73; papers on the invention and patenting of the proximity fuze [proximity fuse]; copy of a paper by Professor John Cockcroft, "A General Account of Army Radar"; copy of the Los Alamos lectures on nuclear physics, 1943; journals from the Home Office Scientific Adviser's branch, 1961-66 and 1973; and a Home Office civil defence data book, as well as correspondence with John Maynard Keynes, 1936-1944.
The collection relates to Burcham's scientific career, especially his work in the high voltage laboratory under M L E Oliphant and P I Dee which was set up to pursue the findings of Sir John Cockcroft and E T S Walton in splitting atomic nuclei.
These files mainly contain routine correspondence and reports regarding the early development of the atomic bomb.
Papers comprising laboratory notebooks, articles, lectures, correspondence and photographs.
Also includes records of the Kapitza Club, 1922-58 and 1966, and copy papers of the Maud Committee, 1940-1.
With offprints of papers by Ernest Rutherford, 1872-1913.
- Names: Cockcroft, John Douglas, Sir, 1897 - 1967 (Knight, nuclear physicist and first Master of Churchill College) X
- Science 2
- Nuclear bomb 1
- Nuclear disarmament 1
- Nuclear energy 1
- Nuclear warfare 1
- Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell 2
- Thomson, George Paget, Sir, 1892 - 1975 (Knight, nuclear physicist) 2
- Burcham, William Ernest, 1913 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Keynes, John Maynard, 1883 - 1946 (Baron Keynes, economist) 1
- Lawson, John David, 1923 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1