Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 43
Associated Papers of Lise Meitner
This small collection comprises material relating to Professor Lise Meitner, namely correspondence by her and concerning her.
Cockcroft Associated Material
Papers relating to Cockcroft, particularly his research work and correspondence with the Cavendish Laboratory, and lectures by and concerning him.
Cosslett Associated Papers
Drawings relating to the construction of the first UK high voltage transmission electron microscope at the Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge.
History of Fusion
Papers of Piotr Leonidovich Kapitza
The material was mainly collected by Professor David Schoenberg while he was writing the Royal Society Memoir of Kapitza in 1985. Régis Brun provided additional correspondence to, from and about Kapitza in 2007. This is a small collection of papers, pamphlets, letters and extracts from published sources relating to Kapitza. It includes xerox copies.
R V Jones Associated Papers
These papers were deposited by Steuart Campbell, who corresponded with R V Jones in the 1980s. The contents are mainly letters from R V Jones, sent to Campbell between 1980 and 1988.
The Papers of Brigadier Ralph Alger Bagnold
The collection comprises documentation of Bagnold's desert expeditions, the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) and scientific research, supplemented by maps and photographs. The collection includes drafts of Bagnold's autobiography ("Sun, Wind, War and Water", 1991) and draft chapters on the history of the LRDG, as well as some personal papers and correspondence.
The Papers of Bruno Pontecorvo
Personal papers and correspondence relating to Bruno and Marianne Pontecorvo and their family, including Bruno's scientific correspondence.
The Papers of C. T. R. Wilson
Papers comprising correspondence, mainly about barrage balloons and airships, 1917-40, photographs and offprints.
The Papers of Dame Athene Donald
The majority of the collection relates to Donald's scientific career and research: including publications; academic conferences; papers relating to scientists collaborating and working for Donald; scientific findings and data. It also includes material, including articles, relating to Donald's role as a gender equality champion and a copy of her blog.
The Papers of Dr (Vernon) Ellis Cosslett
Correspondence and papers concerning the development of the Electron Microscope
The Papers of E T S Walton
The material at Churchill Archives Centre comprises Walton's Cavendish Laboratory notebooks with associated papers and correspondence.
The Papers of Edward George Bowen
The Papers of Edward Shire
The papers include: physics notebooks; lecture and teaching notes, 1927-73; papers on the invention and patenting of the proximity fuze [proximity fuse]; copy of a paper by Professor John Cockcroft, "A General Account of Army Radar"; copy of the Los Alamos lectures on nuclear physics, 1943; journals from the Home Office Scientific Adviser's branch, 1961-66 and 1973; and a Home Office civil defence data book, as well as correspondence with John Maynard Keynes, 1936-1944.
The Papers of Egon Bretscher
The papers comprise diaries, correspondence, notebooks, official reports, articles, lectures, press cuttings and photographs, 1918 - 1973. The collection also contains recordings of lectures given by Ernest Rutherford in Göttingen, 1931- 1938.
The Papers of Gabriele Rabel
The Papers of Jack Ratcliffe
Papers relating to physics, including articles, lectures, research notes and correspondence.
With biographical material, 1987-9.
The Papers of Karl Weissenberg
Papers comprising articles, lectures, notes, correspondence, photographs and textile samples.
The Papers of Kenneth George Budden
Unpublished memoir, lecture notes, laboratory note books and other papers
The Papers of Lise Meitner
The Papers of Lord Hinton of Bankside
The Papers of Lord Marshall of Goring
Includes material relating to Marshall's work for the UKAEA and CEGB, copies of his correspondence, lectures and other papers
The Papers of Professor Anthony Kelly
The collection includes: research and teaching materials relating to Kelly's work on materials science (including articles, lecture notes and research files); material on consultancy work for Rolls Royce and ICI among others; papers on travel and personal interests such as sailing; and material relating to the University of Surrey and Churchill College.
The Papers of Professor Antony Hewish
Comprising pulsar discovery charts; lecture notes, laboratory notebooks and logbooks, and correspondence and memorabilia, mainly about the award of the Nobel Prize.
The Papers of Professor James Cassels
The papers held at Churchill Archives Centre include a small amount of biographical and personal material, public or official correspondence, and material relating to government policy on energy (mainly in the 1980's).
- Physics 31
- Nuclear physics 16
- Science 9
- Radar 6
- Astronomy 3
- Biology 2
- Engineering 2
- Microscopy 2
- Nuclear disarmament 2
- Nuclear energy 2
- Second World War (1939-1945) 2
- Austria 1
- Canada 1
- Chemistry 1
- East West relations 1
- Electricity 1
- England 1
- France 1
- Geographical exploration 1
- Geophysics 1
- Germany 1
- Government policy 1
- India 1
- Intelligence 1
- Italy 1
- Materials engineering 1
- Mathematics 1
- Nuclear bomb 1
- Nuclear warfare 1
- Nuclear weapons 1
- Ornithology 1
- Philosophy 1
- Russia 1
- Scandinavia 1
- Scientists 1
- Switzerland 1
- UFOs 1
- United States 1
- Universities 1
- Women 1 ∧ less
- English 41
- German 5
- French 1
- Cockcroft, John Douglas, Sir, 1897 - 1967 (Knight, nuclear physicist and first Master of Churchill College) 6
- Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell 3
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority 3
- Cosslett, Vernon Ellis, 1908 - 1990 (electron microscopist) 2
- Hewish, Antony, 1924-2021 (Professor of Radioastronomy) 2
- Jones, Reginald Victor, 1911 - 1997 (physicist and intelligence scientist) 2
- Meitner, Lise, 1878 - 1968 (Professor of Nuclear Physics) 2
- Thomson, George Paget, Sir, 1892 - 1975 (Knight, nuclear physicist) 2
- Allibone, Thomas Edward, 1903 - 2003 (physicist) 1
- Bagnold, Ralph Alger, 1896 - 1990 (Brigadier, geophysicist) 1
- Bowen, Edward George, 1911 - 1991 (radiophysicist) 1
- Bretscher, Dr Egon, 1901 - 1973 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Budden, Kenneth George, 1915 - 2005 (physicist) 1
- Bullard, Edward Crisp, Sir, 1907 - 1980 (Knight, marine geophysicist) 1
- Burcham, William Ernest, 1913 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Cassels, James Macdonald, 1924 - 1994 (physicist) 1
- Chadwick, James, Sir, 1891 - 1974 (Knight, physicist) 1
- Churchill College 1
- Dirac, Paul Adrien Maurice, 1902 - 1984 (physicist) 1
- Donald, Athene, Dame, 1953 (née Griffith, Professor of Experimental Physics and Master of Churchill College) 1
- Eastwood, Eric, Sir, 1910 - 1981 (Knight, engineer) 1
- Feather, Norman, 1904 - 1978 (Professor, physicist) 1
- Hill, John McGregor, Sir, 1921 - 2008 (Knight, nuclear physicist) 1
- Hinton, Christopher, 1901 - 1983 (Baron Hinton of Bankside, nuclear engineer) 1
- Kapitza, Piotr Leonidovich, 1894 - 1984 (physicist) 1
- Kelly, Anthony, 1929 - 2014 (materials scientist, Vice-Chancellor of Surrey University) 1
- Kemmer, Nicholas, 1911 - 1998 (Professor of Mathematical Physics) 1
- Keynes, John Maynard, 1883 - 1946 (Baron Keynes, economist) 1
- Lawson, John David, 1923 - 2008 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Marshall, Walters Charles, 1932 - 1996 (Baron Marshall of Goring, physicist) 1
- Pontecorvo, Bruno, 1913 - 1993 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Rabel, Gabriele, 1880 - 1963 (physicist and biologist) 1
- Randall, John Turton, Sir, 1905 - 1984 (Knight, biophysicist) 1
- Ratcliffe, John Ashworth, 1902 - 1987 (physicist) 1
- Rotblat, Joseph, Sir, 1908 - 2005 (Knight, physicist and peace campaigner) 1
- Rutherford, Ernest, 1871 - 1937 (Baron Rutherford of Nelson, physicist) 1
- Ryle, Martin, Sir, 1918 - 1984 (Knight and Professor of Radio Astronomy) 1
- Schonland, Basil Ferdinand Jamieson, Sir, 1896 - 1972 (Knight, physicist) 1
- Shire, Edward Samuel, 1908 - 1978 (physicist) 1
- Thonemann, Peter Clive, 1917 (physicist) 1
- University of Surrey 1
- Walton, Ernest Thomas Sinton, 1903 - 1995 (nuclear physicist) 1
- Weissenberg, Karl, 1893 - 1976 (physicist) 1
- Wilkinson, Denys Haigh, Sir, 1922 - 2016 (Knight, Professor of Physics) 1
- Wilson, Charles Thomson Rees, 1869 - 1959 (physicist) 1 ∧ less