Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
British Naval Intelligence Papers, mainly of Donald McLachlan and Patrick Beesly.
The collection includes: McLachlan's papers for "Room 39"; Beesly's papers for "Very Special Intelligence" and for "Very Special Admiral"; and papers of Commander Lloyd Hirst, an intelligence officer.
British Intelligence Objectives Sub-committee and Combined Intelligence Objectives
Sub-committee reports on German and Japanese war industry.
Microfilm copies of "ULTRA" signals
Consisting of intelligence from intercepted enemy communications, forwarded from the Admiralty to Allied Commands, "Cairo Series", June 1942-September 1943.
Generally being decrypts from the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park, Buckinghamshire, using the Enigma machine. The Enigma signals were given a special security classification, "MSS" (Most Secret Source) or "ULTRA".
The Papers of Admiral John Henry Godfrey
The Papers of Alexander Guthrie Denniston
This collection consists of letters and accounts of Denniston's code-breaking work in Naval Intelligence in both World Wars and of the setting up of Room 40. There are several photographs of Denniston in Naval uniform and some of the Royal Naval College at Osborne.
The Papers of Gerald Wilkinson
The Wilkinson Papers include three war journals, official telegrams and several files of official correspondence, and provide an extremely valuable record of British Intelligence in the Far East in the Second World War.
The Papers of Mavis Batey
Papers relating to Mavis Batey's work at Bletchley Park. The collection is mainly comprised of later articles and notes for speeches by Batey including memories about her work and her colleagues, and a small amount of correspondence with historians of intelligence. Also includes copies and transcripts of wartime documents.
The Papers of Reginald Victor Jones
This collections comprises correspondence; papers relating to awards and honours; wartime documents including copies of the Air Scientific Intelligence reports he wrote during WWII, copies of intelligence reports he received, and captured German documents; papers relating to Jones' research topics and scientific interests; publications; conferences, lectures, and speeches.
The Papers of Rowland Kenney and Kit Kenney
Comprising official papers, correspondence and notebooks mainly relating to Norway and Finland.
The papers focus on Rowland Kenney's work in Norway during the two World Wars and on Kit Kenney's work in Finland and Norway during the Second World War.
The Papers of Sir (Philip) Stuart Milner-Barry
These papers mostly consist of correspondence and articles. The papers all deal with intelligence matters such as access to wartime records, claims of espionage, memories of wartime code-breaking-related activities and publications by former Bletchley Park staff or about Bletchley Park.
The Papers of Sir Winston Churchill
The Papers of Vasiliy Mitrokhin
The collection comprises the redacted and edited typescript copies of Mitrokhin's original manuscript notes of documents from the KGB archive. All documents are in Russian.
The Papers of William F Clarke
The papers relate to the setting up of Room 40 and the Naval Intelligence's code-breaking activities in the First World War and to Clarke's service in the Government Code and Cypher School from 1922 to 1945.
- Second World War (1939-1945) 8
- First World War (1914-1918) 3
- Diplomacy 2
- Germany 2
- Japan 2
- Armed forces 1
- China 1
- Civil defence 1
- Colonial countries 1
- Communism 1
- Cryptography 1
- Dardanelles campaign (1915-1916) 1
- Defence 1
- East West relations 1
- Economic policy 1
- Fascism 1
- Finland 1
- Foreign policy 1
- France 1
- Government policy 1
- India 1
- Industrial development 1
- Industrial policy 1
- Industry 1
- International relations 1
- International tensions 1
- Journalism 1
- Literature 1
- Monarchy 1
- Naval personnel 1
- Norway 1
- Physics 1
- Poland 1
- Politics 1
- Propaganda 1
- Soviet Union 1
- State security 1
- Trade unions 1
- War crimes 1
- Western Europe 1 ∧ less
- English 12
- Russian 1
- Royal Navy 3
- Clarke, William Francis, 1883 - 1961 (Intelligence Officer) 2
- Army 1
- Barry, Philip Stuart Milner, Sir (1906-1995, Knight and codebreaker) 1
- Batey, Mavis Lilian, 1921 - 2013 (nee Lever, wartime codebreaker and garden campaigner) 1
- Cecil, James Edward Hubert Gascoyne (1861-1947, 4th Marquess of Salisbury, politician) 1
- Churchill, Clementine Ogilvy Spencer (1885-1977, née Hozier, Baroness Spencer-Churchill of Chartwell) 1
- Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer, Sir, 1874 - 1965 (Knight, statesman and historian) 1
- Conservative Party 1
- Denniston, Alexander Guthrie, 1881 - 1961 (Intelligence Officer) 1
- Godfrey, John Henry, 1888 - 1971 (Admiral) 1
- Hall, William Reginald, Sir, 1870 - 1943 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- ID25, Intelligence Division of Naval Staff, 1917- 1
- Jones, Reginald Victor, 1911 - 1997 (physicist and intelligence scientist) 1
- Kenney, Kit, 1913 - 1988 (diplomat) 1
- Kenney, Rowland, 1882 - 1961 (journalist and diplomat) 1
- Liberal Party 1
- Metals Society 1
- Mitrokhin, Vasiliy, 1922 - 2004 (Archivist, First Chief Directorate (foreign intelligence), KGB) 1
- Room 40, Naval Intelligence Division, 1914-1917 1
- Roskill, Stephen Wentworth, 1903 - 1982 (naval historian) 1
- Royal Air Force 1
- Wilkinson, Gerald Hugh, 1909 - 1965 (intelligence officer and British Liaison Officer with General MacArthur) 1 ∧ less