Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Xeroxed material used by Captain Stephen Roskill for his book "Hankey, Man of Secrets", consisting of Trenchard's correspondence with Winston Churchill, 1st Lord Hankey and Sir Samuel Wilson over air defence, particularly as relating to naval forces, and papers on his agreement with Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes over relations between the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy.
The papers include: official material, mainly from the 1920's and 30's and the Second World War; personal correspondence with Elmhirst's wife and family; Elmhirst's memoirs, both written and recorded; articles and lectures.
The papers consist of drafts for Vincent's autobiography, Flying Fever, with correspondence on its publication.
The papers are almost entirely concerned with his service career, particularly his time as Director of Bomber Operations at the Air Ministry, 1943-45. After the War, Bufton planned a book on the Combined Bomber Offensive, and a draft is preserved at BUFT 5/4. There is also a good deal of reference and research material.
Notes and unpublished biography of Sir Barnes Wallis; and "The British Aircraft Industry 1939" produced by Society of British Aircraft Constructors
The papers mainly consist of texts by Collins on the work of Coastal Command during the war, particularly in anti-submarine warfare and the role of the B24 Liberator Bomber in the Battle of the Atlantic, but also include his notes taken as Radar Leader of 59 Squadron RAF.
Copies of papers written by Wallis in the course of his aeronautical research.
These papers were deposited by people who knew or worked with Frank Whittle. The contents are mainly reports produced for Power Jets Limited during World War II.
- Aircraft 3
- Second World War (1939-1945) 3
- Aerodynamics 2
- Air defence 1
- Air force personnel 1
- Royal Air Force 2
- Wallis, Barnes Neville, Sir, 1887 - 1979 (Knight, aeronautical engineer) 2
- Bufton, Sydney Osbourne, 1908 - 1993 (Air Vice-Marshal) 1
- Collins, Joseph Edward, 1916 - 1998 (Flight-Lieutenant, doctor) 1
- Elmhirst, Thomas Walker, Sir, 1895 - 1982 (Knight, Air Marshal) 1
- Farren, William Scott, Sir, 1892 - 1970 (Knight, aeronautical engineer) 1
- Hurren, Bernard J (b c 1907, writer) 1
- Trenchard, Hugh Montague, 1873 - 1956 (1st Viscount Trenchard of Wolfeton, Marshal of the RAF) 1
- Vincent, Stanley Flamank, 1897 - 1976 (Air Vice-Marshal) 1
- Whittle, Frank, Sir, 1907 - 1996 (Knight, Air Commodore, aeronautical engineer) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.