Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 39
Biographical material collected by Donald McLachlan relating to Admiral of the Fleet Sir Dudley Pound
Pound's own papers were destroyed (by burning), shortly after World War Two, by his fellow admirals Cunningham and Geoffrey Blake.
British Naval Intelligence Papers, mainly of Donald McLachlan and Patrick Beesly.
The collection includes: McLachlan's papers for "Room 39"; Beesly's papers for "Very Special Intelligence" and for "Very Special Admiral"; and papers of Commander Lloyd Hirst, an intelligence officer.
Financial Limitation, Technological Innovation and British Naval Policy, 1904-1910
Doctoral dissertation for the University of Chicago.
Midshipman's Logs of D Calybut Downing
Naval logs and photographs
Papers of Admiral Sir Frederick Parham
Album from HMS Malaya and a recording of Parham's reminiscences.
Reminiscences of Vice-Admiral Sir Peter Gretton
Unpublished memoirs of Admiral Gretton, based on his occasional diaries, photo albums, naval papers and family histories, and particularly concentrating on the earlier and later years of Gretton's career.
The Memoirs of Admiral Sir Manley Power
Annotated typescript covering Power's career, particularly on his work with Admiral Sir Andrew Cunningham, Admiral Sir John Cunningham [Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean, from 1943] on the invasion of Sicily and Italy, his work with Admiral Sir Philip Vian and with Admiral 1st Lord Mountbatten. Includes further notes on Admiral Sir Andrew Cunningham.
The Memoirs of Stanley J Sime
Naval memoirs, 1928-46
The Memoirs of Vice-Admiral Sir William Robson
"My naval life", with photocopies of photographs of Robson's family and the ships he served on
The Papers of 1st Lord Fisher of Kilverstone
The Papers of Admiral of the Fleet Lord Wester Wemyss
The papers include: material on the Dardanelles Campaign and Wemyss's service as Commander-in-Chief, East Indies and Egypt Station; literary drafts and other material for Wemyss's memoirs, his account of the Dardanelles Campaign and Lady Wemyss's biography; Wemyss's correspondence, including letters to his wife; Lady Wemyss's diaries and correspondence; photographs and press cuttings.
The Papers of Admiral of the Fleet Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope
The Papers of Admiral Sir (Arthur) Francis Turner
Churchill Archives Centre holds a small collection of Turner's naval papers. It includes material relating to his training and naval career and include some files on aspects of naval engineering and planned maintenance.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Bertram Home Ramsay
The Papers of Admiral Sir Charles Daniel
The papers consist of Daniel's diaries while serving with HMS Orion, 1914-16, and orders and signals on the surrender of the German Fleet in 1918.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Dudley North
The collection held at Churchill Archives Centre mainly covers Admiral North's dismissal from his command at Gibraltar in 1940 and the efforts made by him and his friends to clear his name.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Geoffrey Oliver
The collection held at Churchill Archives Centre includes papers covering Oliver's career as a gunnery officer in World War II and as Commander-in-Chief, East Indies, 1950-2, and The Nore, 1953-5.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Henry Ralph Crooke
Admiral Crooke's papers chiefly consist of a long series of pocket diaries belonging to himself and his wife, and photograph albums which cover most of Crooke's naval career, also including assorted items of memorabilia.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Herbert Packer
The papers consist mainly of letters written during the course of Packer's naval career at sea 1912-1945, first to his father, then to his wife Joy, to whom many letters were written during the Second World War when they were apart for long stretches of time. It is a very interesting collection both from a naval and a personal point of view.
The Papers of Admiral Sir John de Robeck
This collection consists of De Robeck's naval, official and personal papers. The naval and official papers include Midshipman's Logs, correspondence and Fleet orders. The personal papers include correspondence and diaries.
The Papers of Admiral Sir Reginald Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax
The Drax Papers mainly consist of naval files. These date mostly from the First World War and before, and also include a large number of intelligence reports, some from the First World War, but the majority dating from the Second World War. The papers also include articles and lectures by Plunkett on naval themes, with some publications.
The Papers of Admiral Sir William Fisher
The papers chiefly consist of Fisher's Midshipman's logs, and also letters written to his family during his early career and the First World War.
The Papers of Admiral Sir William Wellclose Davis
Includes: Davis's memoirs, recording his long naval career and the ships he served on; speeches and lectures, particularly relating to torpedoes; operational papers from the Second World War onwards; a large number of naval photographs, particularly from the 1950s and also a set of official Admiralty photographs of the D-Day landings; correspondence on naval subjects and history, including Davis's memories of Admiral of the Fleet 1st Lord Mountbatten of Burma.
The Papers of Commander Harold Fawcett
The papers consist of: photographs and later correspondence relating to the Battle of Jutland; papers on Fawcett's work in the Anti-Submarine Warfare Division during the Second World War; a personal journal from Fawcett's early days in the Navy, including his time in the Persian Gulf; biographical material.
The Papers of Commander John Owen
The papers chiefly consist of letters from Churchill to Owen while Owen was working as naval historical adviser to Churchill. All letters are typed, one has an extra hand-written paragraph. There are also a number of hand-written letters from Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes.
- Naval personnel 21
- Second World War (1939-1945) 15
- First World War (1914-1918) 10
- Dardanelles campaign (1915-1916) 3
- Intelligence 3
- Armed forces 2
- Defence 2
- France 2
- Journalism 2
- Authors 1
- Battle of the Atlantic (1939-1945) 1
- Civil defence 1
- Colonial countries 1
- Diplomacy 1
- Economic policy 1
- Fascism 1
- Foreign policy 1
- Germany 1
- Government policy 1
- India 1
- Industrial development 1
- Industrial policy 1
- International relations 1
- Lectures (teaching method) 1
- Literature 1
- Military strategy 1
- Monarchy 1
- Naval history 1
- Operation Dynamo (1940) 1
- Photographs 1
- Politics 1
- Russia 1
- Russian Civil War (1917-1922) 1
- Spain 1
- State security 1
- Trade unions 1
- Turkey 1
- War (concept) 1
- War crimes 1
- Western Europe 1 ∧ less
- Carden, Sackville Hamilton, Sir, 1857 - 1930 (Knight, Admiral) 2
- Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer, Sir, 1874 - 1965 (Knight, statesman and historian) 2
- Fisher, William Wordsworth, Sir, 1875 - 1937 (Knight, Admiral) 2
- Keyes, Roger John Brownlow, 1872 - 1945 (1st Baron Keyes of Zeebrugge and of Dover, Admiral of the Fleet) 2
- Roskill, Stephen Wentworth, 1903 - 1982 (naval historian) 2
- Royal Air Force 2
- Wemyss, Rosslyn Erskine, 1864 - 1933 (1st Baron Wester Wemyss, Admiral of the Fleet) 2
- Admiralty 1
- Army 1
- Ashmore, Leslie Haliburton, 1893 - 1974 (Vice-Admiral) 1
- Backhouse, Roger Roland Charles, Sir, 1878 - 1939 (Knight, Admiral of the Fleet) 1
- Bower, Robert Tatton, 1894 - 1975 (Commander Royal Navy) 1
- Churchill, Clementine Ogilvy Spencer (1885-1977, née Hozier, Baroness Spencer-Churchill of Chartwell) 1
- Clarke, William Francis, 1883 - 1961 (Intelligence Officer) 1
- Conservative Party 1
- Crooke, Henry Ralph, Sir, 1875 - 1952 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Cunningham, Andrew Brown, 1883 - 1963 (1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope, Admiral of the Fleet) 1
- Daily Telegraph 1
- Daniel, Charles Saumarez, Sir, 1894 - 1981 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Davis, William Wellclose, Sir, 1901 - 1987 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Downing, D Calybut, fl1906 - 1908 (midshipman) 1
- Drax, Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett, Sir (Ernle-Erle-, 1880-1967, Knight, Admiral) 1
- Edelsten, John Hereward, Sir, 1891 - 1966 (Knight, Vice-Admiral) 1
- Fawcett, Harold William, 1891 - 1964 (Commander Royal Navy) 1
- Fisher, John Arbuthnot, 1841 - 1920 (1st Baron Fisher of Kilverstone, Admiral of the Fleet) 1
- Gretton, Peter William, Sir, 1912 - 1992 (Knight, Vice-Admiral) 1
- Hallett, Cecil Charles Hughes, Sir (1898-1985, Knight, Vice-Admiral) 1
- Hamilton, Ian Standish Monteith, Sir, 1853 - 1947 (Knight, General) 1
- Hurd, Archibald, Sir, 1869 - 1959 (Knight and naval writer) 1
- Johnston, Clarence Dinsmore Howard (1903-1996, Rear-Admiral) 1
- Liberal Party 1
- McLachlan, Donald Harvey, 1908 - 1971 (author and intelligence officer) 1
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation 1
- North, Dudley Burton Napier, Sir, 1881 - 1961 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Norton, Peter John Hill (1915-2004, Baron Hill-Norton, Admiral of the Fleet and Chief of Defence Staff) 1
- Oliver, Geoffrey Nigel, Sir, 1898 - 1980 (Knight, naval officer) 1
- Owen, John Hely, 1890 - 1970 (Naval Commander) 1
- Packer, Herbert Annesley, Sir, 1894 - 1962 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Parham, Frederick Robertson, Sir, 1901 - 1991 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Pound, Alfred Dudley Pickman Rogers, Sir, 1877 - 1943 (Knight, Admiral of the Fleet) 1
- Power, Manley Laurence, Sir, 1904 - 1981 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Pridham, Arthur Francis, Sir, 1886 - 1975 (Knight, Vice-Admiral) 1
- Ramsay, Bertram Home, Sir, 1883 - 1945 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Richmond, Herbert William, Sir, 1871 - 1946 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Robeck, John Michael de, Sir, 1862 - 1928 (1st Baronet, Admiral of the Fleet) 1
- Robson, William Geoffrey Arthur, Sir, 1902 - 1989 (Knight, Vice-Admiral) 1
- Sime, Stanley J, fl1928 - 1945 (Petty Officer) 1
- Sumida, Jon Tetsuro (b c 1950, historian) 1
- Thompson, Ronald David, 1912 - 2009 1
- Turner, Arthur Francis, Sir, 1912 - 1991 (Knight, Admiral) 1
- Tyrwhitt, Reginald Yorke, Sir, 1870 - 1945 (Knight, Admiral of the Fleet) 1 ∧ less