Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Letters from Sir Alan Lascelles to Sir Rupert Hart-Davis, chiefly on the Literary Society, of which Lascelles was President and Hart-Davis Secretary, and on books edited by Hart-Davis.
The collection includes: McLachlan's papers for "Room 39"; Beesly's papers for "Very Special Intelligence" and for "Very Special Admiral"; and papers of Commander Lloyd Hirst, an intelligence officer.
Papers relating to Mary Soames, from other sources.
The papers consist of drafts for Vincent's autobiography, Flying Fever, with correspondence on its publication.
Personal, family, political and literary papers.
Mainly comprising letters from writers and politicians including Winston Churchill, J. M. Barrie, Sir John Betjeman, Graham Greene, Somerset Maugham, Lord Halifax and Gerald Campbell. The majority of the correspondence is on literary topics. The collection also contains diaries of Cecil Roberts and his commonplace book from 1959-61 which are a source of information on contemporary society. In addition, there are numerous press cuttings and book reviews spanning Cecil Roberts' career.
The papers mainly consist of Kelly's recollections of his work for Churchill, in the form of memoirs and other papers, taped interviews, and in correspondence, particularly with Churchill's official biographer, Sir Martin Gilbert. There is also a small amount of correspondence dating back to Kelly's time as Churchill's literary assistant and two volumes of Winston Churchill's, "The Second World War" heavily annotated by Kelly, presumably for his own abridged version of these volumes.
Papers comprising a copy typescript of "Porius", a typescript of a dramatisation of Dostoevsky's "The Idiot", and a press cuttings album.
The material deposited at Churchill Archives Centre by Dr Piers Brendon relates to two documentaries "The Churchills" and "The Windsors".
This collection relates to Rhodes James' research and writings on the 1915 Dardanelles Campaign. The collection includes Rhodes James' research notes and correspondence plus material he collected about Gallipoli including a significant number of contemporary photographs and newspaper cuttings and rare printed material.
Papers and correspondence relating to his books on World War II. The papers are mostly organised round the different books that Ronald Lewin published and, for the most part, comprise correspondence with Lewin or his notes from interviews with people who were colleagues of the military leaders about whom he wrote or who worked in operations he was describing.
Includes diaries, family and diplomatic correspondence of Sir Nicholas O'Conor; and diaries, personal and literary papers of Lady (Minna) O'Conor
The collection largely comprises research papers, particularly about Yugoslavia [now Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia] during the Second World War, 1950s-1990s. In addition, a small number of papers concern Deakin's work on "Marlborough: His Life and Times", mainly consisting of typed transcripts of letters and documents used in research, and on Churchill's history of the Second World War.
The bulk of this collection is Stead's letters from his many correspondents including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, William Gladstone, and Christabel Pankhurst. There are also papers relating to his time in prison, and to his many publications. Material related to interviews with Royal and political figures and notes for work are also included.
- Second World War (1939-1945) 6
- Journalism 5
- First World War (1914-1918) 2
- Politics 2
- Air warfare 1
- China 1
- Dardanelles campaign (1915-1916) 1
- Diplomacy 1
- Economic policy 1
- Government policy 1
- History 1
- Intelligence 1
- Intergovernmental organizations 1
- International cooperation 1
- Ireland 1
- Military operations 1
- Monarchy 1
- Russia 1
- Social reform 1
- Turkey 1
- Universities 1
- War crimes 1
- Yugoslavia 1
- letter 1 ∧ less
- French 1
- Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer, Sir, 1874 - 1965 (Knight, statesman and historian) 2
- Barnett, Correlli Douglas, 1927-2022 (author and historian) 1
- Belgion, Harold Montgomery, 1892 - 1973 (author) 1
- Brendon, Piers, 1940 (historian and author) 1
- Carter, Charles Bonham, Sir (1876-1955, Knight and General) 1
- Churchill, John, 1650 - 1722 (1st Duke of Marlborough, general and statesman) 1
- Conservative Party 1
- Davis, Rupert Charles Hart, Sir (1907-1999, Knight, author, editor and publisher) 1
- Deakin, Frederick William Dampier, Sir, 1913 - 2005 (Knight and literary assistant to Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill) 1
- Gilbert, Martin John, Sir, 1936 - 2015 (Knight, historian) 1
- James, Robert Vidal Rhodes, Sir (1933-1999, Knight, historian) 1
- Kelly, Richard Denis Lucien, 1916 - 1990 (lawyer, assistant to Sir Winston Churchill) 1
- Lascelles, Alan Frederick, Sir, 1887 - 1981 (Knight and Private Secretary to King George VI) 1
- Lewin, George Ronald, 1914 - 1984 (military historian) 1
- O'Conor, Minna, fl1865 - 1933 (Lady O'Conor) 1
- O'Conor, Nicholas Roderick, Sir, 1843 - 1908 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- O'Gowan, Eric Edward, 1895 - 1969 (Major- General) 1
- Powell, John Enoch, 1912 - 1998 (politician and author) 1
- Powys, John Cowper, 1872 - 1963 (writer) 1
- Roberts, Cecil Edric Mornington, 1892 - 1976 (journalist) 1
- Roskill, Stephen Wentworth, 1903 - 1982 (naval historian) 1
- Royal Navy 1
- Soames, Mary, Dame, 1922 - 2014 (née Churchill, writer, wife of Baron Soames) 1
- Steiner, Francis George, 1929 - 2020 (Professor of Comparative Literature, philosopher, critic) 1
- Steiner, Frederick George, 1890 - 1968 (lawyer, international banking executive and investment advisor) 1
- Steiner, Zara Alice Shakow, 1928 - 2020 (author and historian) 1
- Vincent, Stanley Flamank, 1897 - 1976 (Air Vice-Marshal) 1 ∧ less