Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 43
Two sermons upon II Thess. iii.13 preached by [ ] Per[ ] at Beccles, the first dated 12 May 1695, in the hand of D. Manley, 32 folios: (fo. 31v) 'Kinde Reader if in these few Lines you meet mistakes in this or that or th'other sheet Impute them not to to'th Preacher but to me whose sluggish pen had not dexterritee to take verbatum truths as he them preacht Such rapid swiftness I yet neer have reacht D Manley'.
Includes correspondence, sermons, lectures, articles and other miscellaneous papers.
A sermon upon I Cor. xiii. 1-3, 10 folios. This is preceded by a list of places where the sermon was preached, 1765-1791. On a fly-leaf in the hand of Alfred Newton is 'From R. Holt-White Christmas 1906'.
fo. 1v: 'For Mr Crow' [presumably John Crow, Palmer's half-brother and successor at Ashwell]. fo. 2: 'Herbert Palmer Ashwell Maye 6 1633'. fos 1, 154v: notes in hand of A. B. Grosart, 18 June 1876. Grosart has also inserted a list of the sermons inside the front cover.
The volume contains 26 items, in different hands and on different sizes of paper, many anonymous. There are eight sermons by John Donne, and others by Thomas Moore and Josias Shute. There is also a Latin letter from Thomas Egerton to his father John, 1st Earl of Bridgewater, and some geographical material. The volume has the Bridgewater crest and the bookplate of the Bridgewater Library.
John Strype: Compositions in prose and verse, 'The Thankful Samaritan' (sermon on Luke xvii. 16), epitaph for James Bonnell
Compositions completed at St. Paul's School and at Cambridge, c. 1660-2. Incomplete copy of 'The Thankful Samaritan', c. 1710.
Includes endorsements 'Leeds Nov. 17th 1771', 'Calne 1775', NMB [New Meeting Birmingham] ...1783.' Also includes letter, Swann Hurrell to Henry Bradshaw, 19 Nov. 1883, presenting sermon and two letters of Priestley, and a note of inscription on a silver inkstand presented to Priestley on his emigration to America in 1794 by 'some members of the University of Cambridge'.
The manuscript of a sermon on Psalm 139, 6, preached in Wells Cathedral.
- Theology 5
- Poetry 4
- Preaching 3
- Religion 2
- Anglicanism 1
- Arabian Peninsula 1
- Belgium 1
- Bible 1
- Christianity 1
- Church of England 1
- Classical literature 1
- Education 1
- Germany 1
- Halifax 1
- Indians 1
- Ipswich 1
- Literature 1
- Logic 1
- Magazines 1
- Methodism 1
- Missionary work 1
- Politics 1
- Religious belief 1
- Semitic languages 1
- Slavery 1
- Suffolk 1
- Thunderstorms 1
- Travel abroad 1 ∧ less
- Knight, Samuel, 1677-1746 (Church of England clergyman and antiquary) 7
- Patrick, Simon, 1626-1707 (Bishop of Ely) 7
- Patrick, John, ? 1632-1695 (Church of England clergyman and religious controversialist) 3
- Palmer, Herbert, 1601-1647 (clergyman and college head) 2
- Smith, William Robertson, 1846-1894 (theologian and Semitic scholar) 2
- Bunting, William Maclardie, 1805-1866 (Wesleyan minister) 1
- Clayton, Sarah, 1712-1779 (property developer and industrialist) 1
- Clutterbuck, Thomas, b 1623 (Archdeacon) 1
- Cowell, Edward Byles, 1826-1903 (orientalist) 1
- Cox, John, fl 1655 1
- Donne, John, 1572-1631 (poet and Church of England clergyman) 1
- Egerton, John, 1579-1649 (1st Earl of Bridgewater, politician and lawyer) 1
- Farrar, John, 1802-1884 (Wesleyan Methodist minister and biblical scholar) 1
- Grey, Zachary, 1688-1766 (writer) 1
- Hannah, John, 1792-1867 (Wesleyan Methodist minister) 1
- Hannott, James, d 1704 (pastor) 1
- Haywood, William, ? 1599-1663 (Church of England clergyman) 1
- Hollowaye, Richard, fl 1650 1
- King, Henry, 1592-1669 (poet and Bishop of Chichester) 1
- Lessy, Theophilus, 1787-1841 (Reverend) 1
- Manley, D, fl 1695 1
- Mossom, Robert, d 1679 (Bishop) 1
- Overall, John, ? 1561-1619 (Bishop of Norwich) 1
- Perkins, William, 1558-1602 (lecturer) 1
- Priestley, Joseph, 1733-1804 (theologian, natural philosopher and scientist) 1
- Shute, Josias, 1588-1643 (Archdeacon of Colchester) 1
- Smyth, Henry, fl 1610 (priest and academic, Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge) 1
- Strype, John, 1643-1737 (ecclesiastical historian) 1
- Westcott, Brooke Foss, 1825-1901 (Bishop of Durham) 1
- White, Gilbert, 1720-1793 (naturalist) 1
- Williams, William, fl c 1800 (poet) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.