Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
The principal part of the collection comprises two copies of The distribution of prime numbers: a manuscript version of 274 pages, and a printed version produced by Cambridge University Press, containing inserted notes. The rest of the collection is comprised of correspondence and a photograph of G.H. Hardy.
(p. 1) blank; (p. vii) title page; (p. viii) blank; (p. ix) prefaratory verses; (p. 1) text, with numerous diagrams; (p. 378) blank. Wanting last leaf of text. Unprinted. inside front cover: bookplate of 'SLL'. On p. 177 there is a ref. to John Ward's Young Mathematician's Guide, first published 1707.
Correspondence of Edward Arthur Milne with officers of the Cambridge University Natural Science Club, with related correspondence and a report
A manuscript comprising Computus Ecclesiasticus, Introductio ad Geographiam, Tractatus de Sphoera, Epitome Astronomia, and Astrolabium sev. Plani-Sphaerium.
Covers mechanicks, hydrostaticks, pneumaticks, sounds, opticks, the rainbow, astronomy and tides.
The collection is comprised of biographical papers, wartime and post-war research files (including research papers relating to work on Meniscus Schmidt and related optical systems), papers concerning work for consultancies on the design of optical systems for commercial and other organisations, and drafts and related correspondence regarding publications, lectures and conferences.
Observations, notes and drafts, with related correspondence.
Drafts for publication in the hand of Hardy.
Notebooks, correspondence and notes on mathematical subjects.
A collection of mathematical and logical problems given in their original Sanskrit with an (Indian) English translation and striking, well executed black and white and grey wash illustrations.
Correspondence, drafts of articles and books, notes and miscellaneous papers. The main body of papers dates from Maxwell's undergraduate years at Edinburgh University beginning in 1847, until his death in 1879. Earlier and later items relate to family papers that have accrued to the collection, though these are not extensive.)
A series of mathematical rules, examples and sums, 68 folios. Inside the front cover: 'I.B.S. 15 of March 1825 St. Hiliers, Jersey'.
fo. 5: shorthand note in pencil; fo. 5v: diagram; fo. 1: 'John Hall, Bought Clerk's Sale 1833.' Text written on every other leaf, alternate leaves either carrying diagrams or left blank. Printed as pp. vii-128 of Saunderson's Method of Fluxions, London, 1756.
With a covering letter from Hardy to A.F. Scholfield, Librarian.
Mathematical tables and notes on equations.
- Physics 3
- Astronomy 2
- Examinations 2
- Lectures 2
- Natural sciences 2
- Arithmetic 1
- Cambridge 1
- Education 1
- Geography 1
- Logic 1
- Meteorites 1
- Meteorology 1
- Optics 1
- Politics 1
- Religion 1
- Science 1
- Scientific innovations 1
- Travel 1
- Unitarianism 1 ∧ less
- Hardy, Godfrey Harold, 1877-1947 (mathematician) 3
- Babbage, Charles, 1791-1871 (mathematician) 2
- Ramanujan, Srinivasa Aiyangar, 1887-1920 (mathematician) 2
- Saunderson, Nicholas, 1682-1739 (mathematician) 2
- Trinity College, Cambridge 2
- Baden-Powell, Sir George Smyth, 1847-1898 (Knight, author and politician) 1
- Blackett, Patrick Maynard Stuart, 1897 - 1974 (Baron Blackett, physicist) 1
- Bragg, Sir William Henry, 1862-1942 (knight, physicist) 1
- Brisbane, Sir Thomas Makdougall, 1773-1860 (baronet, colonial governor and astronomer) 1
- Broun, John Allan, 1817-1879 (physicist and meteorologist) 1
- Frend, William, 1757-1841 (unitarian reformer and scientific writer) 1
- Great Britain Board of Invention and Research 1
- Ingham, Albert Edward, 1900-1967 (mathematician) 1
- Keynes, Sir Geoffrey Langdon, 1887-1982 (Knight, surgeon and bibliophile) 1
- Larmor, Sir Joseph, 1857-1942 (Knight, theoretical physicist) 1
- Linfoot, Edward Hubert, 1905-1982 (mathematician and astronomer) 1
- Littlewood, John Edensor, 1885-1977 (mathematician) 1
- Maxwell, James Clerk, 1831-1879 (Professor, scientist, physicist) 1
- Milne, Edward Arthur, 1896 - 1950 (mathematician) 1
- Richardson, Lewis Fry, 1881-1953 (mathematician and pacifist) 1
- Roughton, Francis John Worsley, 1899-1972 (physiologist) 1
- Royal Society 1
- Sheppard, William Fleetwood, 1863-1936 (mathematician) 1
- Stokes, Sir George Gabriel, 1819-1903 (1st Baronet and physicist) 1
- Thomson, Sir Joseph John, 1856-1940 (Knight, physicist) 1
- Triveṅgaḍācārya (fl 1821) poet 1
- Turnbull, Herbert Westren, 1885-1961 (mathematician) 1
- University of Cambridge, Cavendish Laboratory 1
- Welsh, John, 1824-1859 (meteorologist) 1
- Whipple, Francis John Welsh, 1876-1943 (meteorologist) 1
- Whyte, Lancelot Law, 1896 - 1972 (financier and industrial engineer) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.