Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 58
Histroical notes on the parish of Fowlmere.
Sale by John Eldred, John Verdon, both of London, and Zachariah Blackstock of Eaton Socon, Bedfordshire, to Thomas Wale, merchant of London, and to Thomas Hall, merchant tailor of London. The purchase price is £250. Other lands are excepted. Signed by vendors. Tags, seal wanting. Endorsed with note of enrollment on close roll. Marked in ink, 'no. 33', and in pencil, '222'.
84 folios. The entries are annotated to show the owners of tithes, with further notes on tithes at the end of the volume. There is an alphabetical index to furlongs and named holdings on pages 98-99 and 104-110. There are notes identifying some of the holdings and roads mentioned on pages 100-103. Pages 63a, 97, 111-112, and the end-papers are blank.
A collection of remarks upon the history of advowsons, tithes, manors and other, similar, historial subjects in various Cambridgeshire parishes compiled by John Caley when secretary of the Record Commission in answer to enquirers, with transcripts and extracts from documents.
'Visitation of Cambridgeshire taken by Henry St George, Richmond Heralde of Armes Anno Dom. 1619', a copy of the heraldic visitation, containing coats of arms in pen-and-ink, 96 folios. There is an index on folios 4-5. Inside the front cover is the bookplate of George, Earl Macartney.
Minutes, claims, accounts and other material relating to inclosure commissions and Turnpike Trusts in Cambridgeshire.
Lists of landholders, tithe particulars, poor rates, rate assessments and valuations for the various parts of Cambridgeshire.
In 1856 the Poor Law Guardians in Cambridge resolved upon a survey and valuation of rateable property in the parishes of their union. The survey was carried out by Richard Harwood and John Rolfe Mann. Its findings form MSS.Add.5730-5745. An earlier assessment of land in Cambridgeshire, MSS.Add.5717-5729, was partly the work of Thomas Utton.
Assessment of payment of Cambridgeshire villages.
Typescripts on the relationship between religion and science, including articles, a play, chapters for a book on the Church, and material on Barrington Vicarage.
Diaries, writings on the history of music in Cambridge and the history of the Vatican library, correspondence and papers on Ximénès Doudan, Caspar von Kinschot and Reyner Wolfe.
Transcribed by Alfred Rogers for Henry Bradshaw. There are a few pencilled additions in Bradshaw's hand.
Alphabetical index to latin terms compiled by Robert Stonehouse. Also used as a commonplace book by William Balam, Registrar of the Diocese of Ely. Includes drafts of copies of letters, some concerning land disputes in and around Ely.
A series of letters and other papers relating to the Corporation of the Bedford Level.
Possibly intended for business of the Vice Chancellor's Court of the University when Dalton was deputy steward. Includes notes on duties of the clerk of the market, weights and measures and fines payable, draft minutes of the court, 1598 and copies of Elizabeth I's charter to the University, 1575. Also includes draft minutes of the courts of various manors in Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, mostly the manors of Newmarket and Halesworth and Wratting Magna.
Records, minute book, articles, photographs and notes.
The extracts were made from British Library Add. MSS 5849, 5805, 5827, 5847, 5837 and 5813, being manuscripts of William Cole. Attached to fo. 52 is a slip on which are set out references in the Harleian manuscripts to Croyland Abbey, in the hand of Edward Ventris. At fo. 54 is a loose leaf on which are extracts from Ely visitation books dealing with Oakington, made by E. Ventris, with a pencilled note from Ventris to W.G. Searle, 22 November 1873. On fo. ii is an index of contents.
Contains material relating to family history (MS Add. 10214/1) and letters (MS Add. 10214/2) including:
hints for an excursion letter to Monsieur Verrier, 1864; letters to Professor Sedgwick, 1846-1847; letters to daugther and son-in-law, Mr and Mrs Routh 1866-1884; notes written by Hilda Routh 1898; postcard to S.W. Coles 1940.
Sale by Henry Car[e]y esq, of Buckingham, to John Battysford, gent, of Chesterton, for £100, of the manor of Fen Drayton, with all his messuages, lands, fishings etc. there. Signed by 'Henry Carey'. Tag, seal wanting.
(pp. viii-196) Suffolk; (pp. 215-365) Cambridgeshire. Both counties ordered alphabetically. The vol. has been ruled for accounts. p. 295: 'I was here [Impington, Cambridgeshire] Ap. 9, 1726', with (p. 296) sketch of Impington Church. Stamps, inscriptions, and bookplates of Blomefield, Craven Ord, and Sir Thomas Phillipps.
- Cambridgeshire 25
- Ely, Cambridgeshire 6
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire 5
- Churches 4
- Tithes 4
- Suffolk 3
- Bourn, Cambridgeshire 2
- Cambridge 2
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England 2
- Chesterton, Cambridgeshire 2
- Enclosures 2
- Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire 2
- Heraldry 2
- History 2
- Indentures 2
- Leases (documents) 2
- London, England 2
- Manorial papers 2
- Medicine 2
- Oakington, Cambridgeshire 2
- Rentals 2
- Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire 2
- Accounts 1
- Anatomical science 1
- Astronomy 1
- Barnwell, Cambridgeshire 1
- Barrington, Cambridgeshire 1
- Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire 1
- Bibliography 1
- Bibliology 1
- Bishops 1
- Braintree, Essex 1
- Cathedrals 1
- Charters 1
- Chuches 1
- Church 1
- Church administration 1
- Church registers and records 1
- Churchwardens accounts 1
- Clergy 1
- Coats of arms 1
- Commonplace books 1
- Correspondence 1
- Court rolls 1
- Courts 1
- Deeds 1
- Diaries 1
- Drainage 1
- Ecclesiastical courts 1
- Folklore 1
- Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire 1
- Foxton, Cambridgeshire 1
- Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire 1
- Genealogy 1
- Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire 1
- Histon, Cambridgeshire 1
- History of medicine 1
- Homosexuality 1
- Huntingdonshire 1
- Land tenure 1
- Librarians 1
- Linton, Cambridgeshire 1
- Littleport, Cambridgeshire 1
- London 1
- Medical sciences 1
- Medical treatments 1
- Mortgages (documents) 1
- Museums 1
- Music 1
- Musicians 1
- Musicology 1
- Newmarket, Suffolk 1
- Norwich 1
- Over, Cambridgeshire 1
- Oxford, Oxfordshire, England 1
- Pharmacy 1
- Poetry 1
- Poor law act 1
- Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa 1
- Property 1
- Rain 1
- Recipes 1
- Rent 1
- Riots 1
- Roads 1
- Science 1
- Songs 1
- Surgery 1
- Surveys 1
- Terriers 1
- Turnpike roads 1
- Whittelsea, Cambridgeshire 1
- Willingham, Cambridgeshire 1 ∧ less
- Cole, William, 1714-1782 (antiquary) 3
- University of Cambridge 3
- Knight, Samuel, 1677-1746 (Church of England clergyman and antiquary) 2
- Addenbrooke's Hospital 1
- Airy, Sir George Biddell, 1801-1892 (Knight and astronomer) 1
- Alcock, John, 1430-1500 (administrator and bishop of Ely) 1
- Allbutt, Sir Thomas Clifford, 1836-1925 (Knight, physician) 1
- Archer, Isaac, 1641-1700 (clergyman) 1
- Bedford Level Corporation 1
- Bentham, Samuel, 1681-1723 (Vicar of Witchford, Cambridgeshire and Registrar of Ely Cathedral) 1
- Blomefield, Francis, 1705-1752 (antiquary and topographer) 1
- Caley, John, 1763-1834 (archivist, antiquary and Secretary to Record Commission) 1
- Cambridge University Library 1
- Cambridgeshire Inclosure Commissions and Turnpike Trusts 1
- Chester, Joseph Lemuel, 1821-1882 (geneaologist) 1
- Church of England Diocese of Ely 1
- Church of England Ely Dean and Chapter 1
- Clapham, Sir John Harold, 1873-1946 (Knight and economic historian) 1
- Crosby, J.H., d 1923 (Canon) 1
- Dale, Samuel, fl.1915 1
- Dart, Robert Thurston, 1921-1971 (musicologist and harpsichordist) 1
- Eastern Counties Folklore Society 1
- George, Sir Henry St, 1581-1644 (Knight, herald) 1
- Gibbons, Cecil, fl 1960 (vicar of Barrington) 1
- Grey, William, ? 1414-1478 (bishop of Ely) 1
- Harwood, Richard, fl 1856 1
- Humphry, Sir George Murray, 1820-1896 (Knight, surgeon) 1
- Law, Henry, 1781-1862 (churchman and rector) 1
- Macalister, Alexander, 1844-1899 (Professor of Anatomy and surgeon) 1
- Macartney, George, 1737-1806 (Earl Macartney, diplomatist and colonial governor) 1
- Macartney, James, 1770-1843 (anatomist) 1
- Mann, John Rolfe, fl 1856 1
- Marshal, Martin, fl 1848 (pharmacist) 1
- Martin, Thomas, 1697-1771 (antiquary) 1
- Minnis, Samuel Ellison, 1882-1971 1
- Morton, John, ? 1420-1500 (Archbishop of Canterbury and Bishop of Ely) 1
- Pidcock, Henry, fl 1839 1
- Redman, Richard, d 1505 (Bishop of Ely) 1
- Rolleston, George, 1829-81 (physician, zoologist and archaeologist) 1
- Rolleston, Sir Humphry Davy, 1862-1944 (1st Baronet, physician) 1
- Salter, Herbert, 1863-1951 (historian) 1
- Sandars, Samuel, 1837-1894 (bibliographer and barrister) 1
- Save, Peter, fl 1690 1
- Sayle, Charles Edward, 1864-1924 (librarian) 1
- Stanley, James, c 1465-1515 (Bishop of Ely) 1
- Stonehouse, Robert, fl 1696 1
- Tanner, Thomas, 1674-1735 (bishop and antiquary) 1
- Taylor, Rivers, fl 1741-1780 1
- Underwood, Charles White, d 1899 (clergyman) 1
- Utton, Thomas, fl 1856 1
- Vestry of Trinity Parish, Ely 1
- West, Nicholas, d 1533 (Bishop of Ely) 1
- Yorke, Alexander Campbell, 1852-1925 (rector and antiquary) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.