Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Sketch of the life and work of A. M. Liapounov by B.M. Lyapunov, which appeared in the Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1930, with related works, translated into English by A. J. Pressland, 89 folios: (fo. 1) the Russian Academy sketch; (fo. 46) lecture by A. M. Liapunov 'On the form of celestial bodies'; (fo. 77) obituary notice for Liapounov. Contributors include A. J. Pressland.
A manuscript comprising Computus Ecclesiasticus, Introductio ad Geographiam, Tractatus de Sphoera, Epitome Astronomia, and Astrolabium sev. Plani-Sphaerium.
Contains notes and extracts on philosophy, astronomy, natural history and medicine. fo. 2: 'Edmundus Lëus 1607'.
The collection is comprised of biographical papers, wartime and post-war research files (including research papers relating to work on Meniscus Schmidt and related optical systems), papers concerning work for consultancies on the design of optical systems for commercial and other organisations, and drafts and related correspondence regarding publications, lectures and conferences.
Contains material relating to family history (MS Add. 10214/1) and letters (MS Add. 10214/2) including:
hints for an excursion letter to Monsieur Verrier, 1864; letters to Professor Sedgwick, 1846-1847; letters to daugther and son-in-law, Mr and Mrs Routh 1866-1884; notes written by Hilda Routh 1898; postcard to S.W. Coles 1940.
Directions on how to play an astronomical game for children called Zodiac, for the most part in verse, 19 folios. A letter is pasted to fo. 19 to an undesignated addressee from J. Wallis [publisher], Strand, 16 April 1808. On fo. 1 is the title 'The Zodiac', beneath which in another hand is written the date 1804. The correct date is not earlier than 1809, as is shown by the watermark. Inside the front cover appear the bookplate and signature of D.W. Smith.
A fair copy of a Catalogue of Stars Visible on the Horizon of Calcutta, drawn up by J. W. F. Herschel to accompany the ten feet reflecting telescope sent to his relations including medical doctor, Duncan Stewart, eldest brother of Lady Margaret Herschel, employed by the East India Company, 1825-1855.
Notes by John Parnther of Peterhouse College on a series of lectures given at Cambridge University. Lectures by N. Saunderson and Robert Smith on hydrostatics, sounds, optics, mechanics, astronomy, the tides, technical chronology, dioptrica and catoptrica.
Notes on Sanderson's lectures in the hand of William Haswell. Includes: lectures on hydrostatics, sounds, optics (with others), mechanics, astronomy, tides, technical chronology, and the doctrine of heat and cold. With (fo. 128) copy of letter from James Bate to Hans Deveille, 3 Jan. 1726
A series of four letters, including some calculation tables, written by Gabriel Morris to the Revd. Arthur Ashley Sykes (1684?-1756), discussing the extent of various eclipses, with mention of Edmund Halley.
Notes of observations made in the observatory of St John's College, Cambridge, compiled by a member of the college, probably Thomas Catton.
- Science 4
- Mathematics 2
- Weather 2
- Anthropology 1
- Artificial satellites 1
- Astronomical observatories 1
- Barometers 1
- Boer War (1899-1902) 1
- Calcutta 1
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England 1
- Childrens games 1
- Chronology 1
- Clocks 1
- Eclipses 1
- Geodesy 1
- Geographical exploration 1
- Geography 1
- Geophysics 1
- Hydrostatics 1
- Lectures 1
- Libraries 1
- London, England 1
- Marine navigation 1
- Mechanics 1
- Medical sciences 1
- Natural history 1
- Optics 1
- Personal papers 1
- Philosophy 1
- Physicists 1
- Physics 1
- Poetry 1
- Russia 1
- Satellites 1
- South Africa 1
- Space research 1
- Tides 1 ∧ less
- Saunderson, Nicholas, 1682-1739 (mathematician) 2
- Adams, John Couch, 1819-1892 (astronomer) 1
- Airy, Sir George Biddell, 1801-1892 (Knight and astronomer) 1
- Catton, Thomas, 1760-1838 (astronomer) 1
- Darwin, Erasmus, 1731-1802 (physician, botanist and poet) 1
- Evelyn, Sir George Augustus William Shuckburgh-, 1751-1804 (6th baronet and mathematician) 1
- Gooch, William, c1770 - 1792 (astronomer) 1
- Halley, Edmond, 1656-1742 (astronomer) 1
- Herschel, Sir John Frederick William, 1792-1871 (Knight, astronomer) 1
- Keynes, Sir Geoffrey Langdon, 1887-1982 (Knight, surgeon and bibliophile) 1
- King-Hele, Desmond George, 1927-2019 (physicist and author) 1
- Leigh, Edmund, fl 1607 1
- Liapounov, Boris Mikhailovich, 1862-1943 (linguist) 1
- Linfoot, Edward Hubert, 1905-1982 (mathematician and astronomer) 1
- McClean, Frank, 1837-1904 (civil engineer and astronomer) 1
- Morris, Gabriel, fl 1732 1
- Page, Philip Homer, fl 1910 1
- Parnther, John, fl 1728 1
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, 1792-1822 (poet) 1
- St John's College, Cambridge 1
- Stewart, Duncan, fl 1860 1
- Sykes, Reverend Arthur Ashley, c 1684–1756 (clergyman and religious controvertialist) 1
- Thomson, William, 1824-1907 (Baron Kelvin of Largs, mathematician and physicist) 1
- University of Cambridge 1
- Walpole, Horatio, 1717-1797 (4th earl of Orford, author, politician and patron of the arts) 1 ∧ less