Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
The principal part of the collection is comprised of Dicken's detailed hand-written memoirs, accompanied by related documents and photographs. The remaining items are a printed volume on the cruise of the Flying Squadron, 1869-1870, in which Dicken participated; a journal from his service on H.M.S. 'Alexandra' in the Mediterranean, 1883-1884; and assorted papers collected for the memoirs.
Civil List accounts, including Customs and Excise, Navy and miscellaneous accounts, 27 December 1706 - 10 January 1798. On labels inside the covers of MSS.Add.5219-5223: 'From the Treasury Chambers Whitehall. Removed to the Public Record Office (W.L[ascelles])'.
The collection is comprised of journals recording Simpkinson's experiences serving on different ships, containing a mixture of short dated entries and longer accounts with occasional dates. There is also a small set of personal papers, relating mainly to Simpkinson's naval career.
Numbered list of the names of the ships of the Royal Navy arranged in rough alphabetical order, 76 folios. The list includes Danish ships. On fo. 5v is a diagram of flags with a number against each. The list was probably intended for signalling purposes. Fos 1v-4v, 6v and 30v-75 are blank.
Logbook of HMS Hannibal covering its service off the Crimea, 83 folios. The volume is written in three hands, with occasional notes added by one of the officers.
Estimates for vessels in harbour and for building and repair work on ships of war.
Copies of orders from Admirals James Dundas and Edmund Lyons as commanders, Mediterranean Fleet, and from Admiral Houston Stewart, second-in-command of the same, with copies of related despatches, resolutions and other communications, written in three hands, 92 folios.
- Crimean war (1853-1856) 2
- Finance 2
- Black Sea 1
- Crimea 1
- Government, central 1
- Wesselow, Francis Guillemard Simpkinson de, 1819-1906 (naval officer and artist) 3
- Bastard, Richard, d 1867 (First Lieutenant) 1
- British Treasury 1
- Dicken, Charles Gauntlett, 1854-1937 (Admiral) 1
- Dicken, Charles Vernon, 1881-1955 (colonial administrator) 1
- Dicken, Edward Bernard Cornish, 1888-1964 (Rear Admiral) 1
- Dicken, John Aldersey, 1896-1959 (naval officer) 1
- Dundas, Sir James Whitley Deans, 1785-1862 (knight, naval officer and politician) 1
- Hamond, Sir Andrew Snape, 1738-1828 (1st Baronet, Comptroller of the Navy Colonial and Governor) 1
- Hamond, Sir Graham Eden, 1779-1862 (2nd Baronet and Admiral) 1
- Lyons, Edmund, 1790-1858 (1st Baron Lyons, naval officer and diplomatist) 1
- Stewart, Sir Houston, 1791-1875 (Knight, naval officer) 1 ∧ less