Showing Collections: 1 - 24 of 24
1 folder contains flashcards, the rest contain pages removed from notebooks. The latter are paginated, and some have headings in Roman numerals, assumedly dividing different lectures. Accompanying titles include 'The Tennis Court Oath', 'Napoleon' and 'Madame Roland'.
Includes bibliographic references
Diaries at Rome 22 Nov. - end Dec. 1869. Vol. 1
Diary kept in London
Letters from Lord Acton to his daughter 'Mamy' (Mary Elizabeth Anne Acton), 283 items, many accompanied by the original envelopes. There are two incomplete sets of typed transcripts of the letters with the collection.
A collection of letters to Lord Acton, nearly all relating to the Cambridge Modern History. The principal correspondent is his co-editor W.A.J. Archbold; the remainder are for the most part potential or actual contributors to the History, replying to Acton's invitations to take part or writing about their contributions. Appended are a further letter of A.W. Ward, 1914, and one of Herbert Butterfield, 1964, relating to the collection, and a few miscellaneous papers. 291 items.
Correspondence, mainly concerning the Cambridge Modern History series of volumes. Letters are addressed to Ward unless otherwise stated.
The papers described in this catalogue date chiefly from the end of the Second World War to the 1970s; from the beginning of this period Butterfield was assisted in his University and college duties by a secretary. The collection documents almost all aspects of his academic life and writings, and provides a record of the wider development of historical studies over the course of his career.
- History 3
- Religion 2
- Academics 1
- Business 1
- Catholicism 1
- Church 1
- English history 1
- Ethics 1
- France 1
- Historians 1
- Historiography 1
- Italy 1
- Lectures (teaching method) 1
- Politics 1
- Revolutions 1
- Rome 1
- Venice 1 ∧ less
- Ward, Sir Adolphus William, 1837-1924 (Knight, historian) 3
- Butterfield, Sir Herbert, 1900-1979 (Knight and historian) 2
- Creighton, Mandell, 1843-1901 (Bishop) 2
- Acton, Sir John Francis Edward, 1736-1811 (Knight, 6th Baronet and Prime Minister of Naples) 1
- Athenæum Club, London 1
- Charles, II, 1630-1685 (King of Great Britain and Ireland) 1
- Chase, Frederic Henry, 1853-1925 (Bishop of Ely) 1
- Döllinger, Johann Joseph Ignaz von (1799-1890) historian and theologian 1
- Evans, Marian, 1819-1880 (novelist, pseudonym George Eliot) 1
- Garnett, Richard, 1835-1906 (librarian and author) 1
- Gower, Granville George Leveson-, 1815-1891 (2nd Earl Granville, statesman) 1
- Jackson, Henry, 1839-1921 (classicist) 1
- Jenkinson, Francis John Henry, 1853-1923 (librarian) 1
- Lasaulx, Ernst von, 1805-1861 (German classicist and philosopher) 1
- Magdalen College, Oxford 1
- Maitland, Frederic William, 1850-1906 (legal historian) 1
- Newman, John Henry, 1801-1890 (Cardinal) 1
- Peterhouse, Cambridge 1
- Poole, Reginald Lane, 1857-1939 (historian) 1
- Reid, James Smith, 1846-1926 (historian) 1
- Trinity College, Cambridge 1
- University of Cambridge 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.