Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 30
Volume contains certificate, in Latin, bearing large ornate coloured coat of arms. Loose leaves contain translation of text into Italian, and into English.
A collection of articles in Italian and Latin on international treaties, 1510-59, including agreements between Pope Leo X and the Swiss, and Henry VIII and Emperor Maximilian, 1516, and Pope Paul III and Emperor Charles V, about heresy and Protestantism in Germany, 1546. Â1 volume, Sommario de capitalationi fatte fra diversi Pontefici, et Principi Christiani, Italian and Latin, in a single hand throughout, late 16C; in modern boards
Commonplace books covering many subjects, including topics in theology, law, governance, the natural sciences, the arts, and human characteristics and relationships.
Descrittione fatta l’ann[o …] tutte l’anime che si trovano nella citta di Venetia (census of the inhabitants of Venice classed by rank or profession)
A wide range of material compiled in preparation for the D.E.A.B. A few letters and other items are in French, German and Italian.
Rondo for violin and piano, MS score, Italian, in a copyist's hand.
Rondo for violin and piano of overture to Paisiello's opera 'Alcide al bivio' (1780), MS score, Italian, Vincenzo Marra, copyist.
Volume contains brief family tree (mostly just patrilinear descent) and a document in Italian. Wax seal has image of individual mounted, carrying flag, and is surrounded by phrase 'S Alexander sergomi protector'. Two loose sheets are modern notepaper, one with a transcript of the main document, and one with an English translation of the same, the latter dated Feb 1998.
The volume contains a draft letter from Rizzetti to Christino Martinelli, c.1720, with a description of Newton's experiment leading to the discovery of the aberration of light, and Rizzetti's experiment contradicting Newton's results; and two diagrams on refraction (p.13), the 'Anatomical composition of the eye' and the 'Aberration in telescopes with different lenses'. There are references to Descartes, Huygens and Tschirnhaus.
Transcripts from the 17th century of accounts of political and military events in Spain and Italy, 1630-44. The volumes have the book-plates of H.E. Napier and Thomas Hodgkin. The transcripts are accompanied by letters, regarding their provenance: John Bohn to Thomas Hodgkin (1875), Luigi Firpo to Edward C. Hodgkin (1978), and Edward C. Hodgkin to the London Library (1992).
A capriccio for violin and piano, MS score, Italian, in a copyist's hand. Piano part only.
The letter discusses the trade in jewels, pearls, slaves [i.e. enslaved people] and other commodities with the countries of north-western Europe and the Near East. Signed holograph on two sides. Wafer seal on silk.
Don Juan: eine heroisch Romische Oper in 2 Acten von Weiland W.A. Mozart; im volständigan Klavier-Auszug mit deutschen und italienischen Texte. Copied by Giuseppe Teodoro Rippka from a printed edition [Wien. Im Verlage der K.K. priv. chemischen Druckerey am Graben. No.612, , publ. no.1400].
Note sopra gli appalti camerali, notes on local office-holders in Papal States, with the label 'Appalti camerali'. The volume covers offices, contracts, fees and expenses, and duties and privileges in the Papal States, with names of current officers and the length of appointment (vi + 187 folios).
'Instruzioni di Roma per diverse nunziature', 27 instructions for papal nuncios in and outside Italy, written in a single hand throughout (428ff.).
- ARCHON code (for CUL materials)
- Archives and MSS Dept. (GBR/0012) 29
- Royal Commonwealth Soc. (GBR/0115) 1
- Italy 2
- Venice 2
- Africa (continent) 1
- Alexandria, Egypt (inhabited place) 1
- Antiquarianism 1
- Catholicism 1
- China 1
- Church history 1
- Family papers 1
- Heresy 1
- Hong Kong 1
- Japan 1
- Kenya (nation) 1
- Natural philosophy 1
- Papacy 1
- Popes 1
- Protestantism 1
- Religious history 1
- Slavery 1
- Slaves 1
- Tanzania (nation) 1
- Uganda (nation) 1 ∧ less
- English 20
- French 6
- Latin 6
- German 5
- Spanish; Castilian 3
- Chinese 2
- Dutch; Flemish 2
- Japanese 2
- Arabic 1
- Danish 1
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453) 1
- Hawaiian 1
- Indonesian 1
- Korean 1
- Persian 1
- Portuguese 1
- Russian 1
- Urdu 1 ∧ less
- Paisiello, Giovanni, 1740-1816 (composer) 7
- Blennerhassett, Lady Charlotte Julie, 1843-1917 (Countess of Leyden, biographer) 1
- Blennerhassett, Sir Rowland, 1839-1909 (4th Baronet political writer) 1
- Casa delle Donzelle alla Zudecca 1
- College of Cardinals 1
- Gray, Sir (John Milner, 1889-1970, Knight and colonial administrator) 1
- Gregory, XV, 1554-1623 (Pope) 1
- Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd 1
- Jardine, William, 1784-1843 (physician and merchant) 1
- Louis, XIV, 1638-1715 (King of France) 1
- Lucattinis, Domenico de, fl 1670 1
- Macro, Cox (antiquary and clergyman) 1
- Matheson and Co Ltd 1
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician) 1
- Millini, Savo, 1643-1701 (Archbishop of Chalcedon) 1
- Newton, Sir Isaac, 1642-1727 (Knight, natural philosopher and mathematician) 1
- Parkes, Sir Harry Smith, 1828-1885 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Rizzetti, Giovanni, 1675-1751 (natural philosopher) 1
- Simpson, Donald Herbert, 1920 - 2002 (Librarian of the Royal Commonwealth Society) 1
- Thomas, Harold Beken, 1888 - 1971 (colonial administrator and historian) 1
- Venier, Girolamo, 1640-1714 (Venetian Ambassador) 1 ∧ less