Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Includes correspondence with Montague Rhodes James, notes on classical literature and translations, correspondence and material relating to the University Library.
Correspondence and papers on the education and early career of Charles Ryle Fay (1884-1961), economic historian.
The letters and papers catalogued below were preserved by C. R. Fay's father, who pasted them into an unused copy of Smith's commercial scribbling diary for 1902; Mr Fay adopted a generally chronological arrangement, but does not seem to have felt himself to be bound strictly by this. Many of the documents are addressed to the elder Fay, and the collection can be regarded as being as much the papers of the father as of the son.
Letters concerning the purchase of a copy of the block-printed collection of Tibetan Buddhist literature known as the Kanjur (bKa' 'gyur) by Cambridge University Library; included in the collection is a receipt for Charles Taylor's gift in the sum of £275. The Kanjur in question is now located at Cambridge University Library Tibetan.1-104. [Some alternative transiterations of the name of the Tibetan Canon are bKángjur, kang-gyur, kan-jur, Kangyur or bka'-'gyur].
Francis John Henry Jenkinson (1853-1923), Librarian to the University of Cambridge 1889-1923: correspondence concerning the Sandars Readership in Bibliography
The letters comment on Fay's career, Browning's health and historical writing, other historians and their works, and Cambridge affairs (including adverse remarks on M.R. James). All but the first were written after Browning's departure from Cambridge in 1909, The place named in the each letter's description is the place of dispatch of the letter.
Notes from a lecture on the Abbey Church, Bury, from Lecture Day at the Athenaeum, 21 April 1932
'Collections of Manuscripts at Cambridge, their History, Sources and Contents', the Sandars Lectures for 1903, 48 folios. A list of slides shown follows the text (fo. 45). The versos are blank throughout.
Papers mostly relating to James' work on biblical apocrypha and cataloguing manuscripts, including notes and transcriptions of texts, plus other miscellaneous material.
Annotated copy of the published work, with inserted notes and letters to James.
Published work with annotations and inserted notes and letters to James.
Reports, correspondence and lists of manuscripts for M.R. James's recataloguing of Cambridge University Library medieval manuscripts.
- Lectures 2
- Arts 1
- Belgium 1
- Classical literature 1
- Grenoble 1
- University of Cambridge 4
- Cambridge University Library 3
- Browning, Oscar, 1837-1923 (historian and educational reformer) 2
- Eton College 2
- Jenkinson, Francis John Henry, 1853-1923 (librarian) 2
- Scholfield, Alwyn Faber, 1884-1969 (Cambridge University Librarian) 2
- Bonar, James, 1852-1941 (civil servant and economist) 1
- Brooke, Alan England, 1863-1939 (biblical scholar and college head) 1
- Bury, John Bagnell, 1861-1927 (classical scholar and historian) 1
- Chavasse, Francis James, 1846-1928 (bishop of Liverpool) 1
- Dickinson, Goldsworthy Lowes, 1862-1932 (humanist, historian and philosopher) 1
- Duff, Edward Gordon, 1863-1924 (bibliographer) 1
- Fay, Charles Ryle, 1884-1961 (economic historian) 1
- Gow, Andrew Sydenham Farrar, 1886-1978 (Classical Scholar) 1
- Hartog, Sir Philip Joseph, 1864-1947 (Knight, educationalist) 1
- Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936 (poet) 1
- Jones, Emily Elizabeth Constance, 1848-1922 (philosopher and college head) 1
- Keynes, Florence Ada, 1861-1958 (née Brown, social and political activist) 1
- Keynes, John Neville, 1852-1949 (logician, economist and university administrator) 1
- King's College, Cambridge 1
- Macaulay, William Herrick, 1853-1936 (mathematician) 1
- Mackinder, Sir Halford John, 1861-1947 (Knight, geographer and politician) 1
- Madan, Falconer, 1851-1935 (librarian and bibliographer) 1
- Mayor, John Edward Bickersteth, 1825-1910 (classical scholar and divine) 1
- Merchant Taylors' School, Crosby 1
- Parry, Sir Charles Hubert Hastings, 1848-1918 (Knight, composer and musical writer) 1
- Pascal, Blaise, 1623-1662 (mathematician and physicist) 1
- Perse School, Cambridge 1
- Pigou, Arthur Cecil, 1877-1959 (economist) 1
- Reeves, William Pember, 1857-1932 (journalist, politician and economist) 1
- Roberts, Ernest Stewart, 1847-1912 (classicist, academic administrator and college head) 1
- Sandars, Samuel, 1837-1894 (bibliographer and barrister) 1
- Stanford, Sir Charles Villiers, 1852-1924 (Knight, composer and conductor) 1
- Stewart, Hugh Fraser, 1863-1948 (academic, churchman and literary critic) 1
- Stratford, Esmé Cecil Wingfield-, 1882-1971 (historian) 1
- Taylor, Charles, 1840-1908 (scholar and college head) 1
- Trinity College, Cambridge 1 ∧ less