Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
List of autograph signatures found in books in Cambridge University Library, 168 folios. The names are arranged in alphabetical order. Most of the entries are in the hand of C.E. Sayle, with some in that of F.J.H. Jenkinson. The entries were first made in 1894. Probably few if any entries were made after 1929 and the book is not now in use.
The volumes contain chronological lists of books printed in Cambridge owned by Cambridge University Library or found in other libraries. MS.Add.8763: 1521-1698; compiled by F.J.H. Jenkinson, c. 1890-1918, and annotated at the front 'F. Jenkinson's MS. with some notes by C. Sayle'. There are occasional cuttings from dealers' lists. MS.Add.8764: 1699-1900; compiled by C.E. Sayle, c. 1896-1902.
Correspondence preserved on account of its philatelic interest, and comprising mainly postcards addressed to F.J.H. Jenkinson, Librarian, and other members of the Library staff, together with a few addressed to Alfred Newton, Professor of Zoology, and other members of the University. The senders were booksellers or private individuals. A few of the postcards are unsigned or signed only with initials.
Correspondence and miscellaneous papers concerning Cambridge University Library business.
Correspondence from family members, members of the University and others on a wide range of subjects.
Includes a bibliography of Scilly, drafts of speeches, papers on incunabula and manuscripts, correspondence concerning Cambridge University Library and other subjects and various booklists.
The diaries contain occasional notes of Library business, including notes of books that were offered for sale, bought, presented, recommended for the Library, missing, or mutilated; autographs in books; requests for, and receipt of, loans; complaints; engagements; binding practice; visitors; copyright claims; and library rearrangement. The diaries were continued in other hands during the absence or illness of Jenkinson.
11 letters from Henry Bradshaw to Stephen Willoughby Lawley, 21 August 1880 - 17 October 1882. There are accompanying letters from G.W. Prothero to Lawley, 2 February 1894, Francis Jenkinson to the same, 18 January 1896, and W.H. Macaulay to Jenkinson, 6 December 1908.
- Belgium 1
- Grenoble 1
- Lausanne, Switzerland 1
- Lectures 1
- Music 1
- University of Cambridge 4
- Bradshaw, Henry, 1831-1886 (scholar, antiquary and librarian) 2
- Eton College 1
- James, Montague Rhodes, 1862-1936 (biblical scholar, antiquary and palaeographer) 1
- Mayor, John Edward Bickersteth, 1825-1910 (classical scholar and divine) 1
- Newton, Alfred, 1829-1907 (zoologist) 1
- Parry, Sir Charles Hubert Hastings, 1848-1918 (Knight, composer and musical writer) 1
- Pascal, Blaise, 1623-1662 (mathematician and physicist) 1
- Prothero, Sir George Walter, 1848-1922 (Knight, historian) 1
- Sayle, Charles Edward, 1864-1924 (librarian) 1
- Stanford, Sir Charles Villiers, 1852-1924 (Knight, composer and conductor) 1
- Stewart, Hugh Fraser, 1863-1948 (academic, churchman and literary critic) 1
- Trinity College, Cambridge 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.