Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 36
fo. 1v: [in hand of Charles Sayle] 'By a resolution of the Library Syndicate, 7 June 1893, "Leave was given to Mr J[ohn] W[illis] Clark to borrow one volume at a time of the Webb Collection of University Papers, and the Librarian was requested to see that the separate pieces were stamped and numbered before they were taken out of the Library." Mr A. Rogers states that this was done, 7 Nov. 1919.'
Alphabetical list of incunabula and later printed books to 1653 in the University Library, Cambridge
Includes correspondence with Montague Rhodes James, notes on classical literature and translations, correspondence and material relating to the University Library.
Appointments diaries listing library work, staff absences and various appointments.
List of autograph signatures found in books in Cambridge University Library, 168 folios. The names are arranged in alphabetical order. Most of the entries are in the hand of C.E. Sayle, with some in that of F.J.H. Jenkinson. The entries were first made in 1894. Probably few if any entries were made after 1929 and the book is not now in use.
'A supplement to the printed catalogue of the manuscripts in the publick library', possibly compiled by T. Parne.
Diaries, writings on the history of music in Cambridge and the history of the Vatican library, correspondence and papers on Ximénès Doudan, Caspar von Kinschot and Reyner Wolfe.
List of manuscripts in the Taylor-Schechter Collection. For each item there is the title with a summary description, size, material, language, and date (when ascertainable).
The volumes contain chronological lists of books printed in Cambridge owned by Cambridge University Library or found in other libraries. MS.Add.8763: 1521-1698; compiled by F.J.H. Jenkinson, c. 1890-1918, and annotated at the front 'F. Jenkinson's MS. with some notes by C. Sayle'. There are occasional cuttings from dealers' lists. MS.Add.8764: 1699-1900; compiled by C.E. Sayle, c. 1896-1902.
Correspondence preserved on account of its philatelic interest, and comprising mainly postcards addressed to F.J.H. Jenkinson, Librarian, and other members of the Library staff, together with a few addressed to Alfred Newton, Professor of Zoology, and other members of the University. The senders were booksellers or private individuals. A few of the postcards are unsigned or signed only with initials.
Correspondence and miscellaneous papers concerning Cambridge University Library business.
Correspondence from family members, members of the University and others on a wide range of subjects.
Includes a bibliography of Scilly, drafts of speeches, papers on incunabula and manuscripts, correspondence concerning Cambridge University Library and other subjects and various booklists.
The diaries contain occasional notes of Library business, including notes of books that were offered for sale, bought, presented, recommended for the Library, missing, or mutilated; autographs in books; requests for, and receipt of, loans; complaints; engagements; binding practice; visitors; copyright claims; and library rearrangement. The diaries were continued in other hands during the absence or illness of Jenkinson.
Arranged chronologically. Some items refer to Cambridge University Library business after Bradshaw's death.
11 letters from Henry Bradshaw to Stephen Willoughby Lawley, 21 August 1880 - 17 October 1882. There are accompanying letters from G.W. Prothero to Lawley, 2 February 1894, Francis Jenkinson to the same, 18 January 1896, and W.H. Macaulay to Jenkinson, 6 December 1908.
Description and blazon of coats of arms in Cambridge churches and colleges, on the conduit in the market place, and in the University Library. Autograph. pp. 243-63: indexes. There are some incomplete additions at pp. 265-73. pp. 274-312: blank. Sperling's bookplate inside front cover.
A reference-list of the exercises for the Degrees of Bachelor and Doctor of Music between the years 1875 and 1910, arranged in columns as follows: 1) name of recipient of degree; 2) degree; 3) date; 4) reference number of exercise. The names are in alphabetical order. The reference numbers are those of the University Library, where the exercises are kept. There are 22 folios.
Dictated by S. M. Schiller-Szinessy to Henry Bradshaw.
- Catalogues 3
- Music 3
- Cambridge 2
- Libraries 2
- Manuscripts 2
- Architecture 1
- Belgium 1
- Bibliography 1
- Bibliology 1
- Books 1
- Cambridge, Cambridgeshire 1
- Classical literature 1
- Correspondence 1
- Degrees 1
- Diaries 1
- Grenoble 1
- Hebrew 1
- Hebrew literature 1
- Homosexuality 1
- Jews 1
- Judaism 1
- Lausanne, Switzerland 1
- Lectures 1
- Librarians 1
- Library catalogues 1
- Rare books 1 ∧ less
- Jenkinson, Francis John Henry, 1853-1923 (librarian) 10
- University of Cambridge 10
- Bradshaw, Henry, 1831-1886 (scholar, antiquary and librarian) 3
- James, Montague Rhodes, 1862-1936 (biblical scholar, antiquary and palaeographer) 3
- Cockerell, Charles Robert, 1788-1863 (architect) 2
- Sayle, Charles Edward, 1864-1924 (librarian) 2
- Scholfield, Alwyn Faber, 1884-1969 (Cambridge University Librarian) 2
- Trinity College, Cambridge 2
- Aldis, Harry Gidney, 1863-1919 (bibliographer) 1
- Boulind, Richard, 1938 - c.1988 (librarian and bibliographer) 1
- Corpus Christi College, Cambridge 1
- Eton College 1
- Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge 1
- Gow, Andrew Sydenham Farrar, 1886-1978 (Classical Scholar) 1
- Gray, Thomas, 1716-1771 (poet and literary scholar) 1
- Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936 (poet) 1
- Jesus College, Cambridge 1
- Luard, Henry Richards, 1825-1891 (university administrator) 1
- Madden, Sir Frederic, 1801-1873 (Knight, palaeographer and librarian) 1
- Mayor, John Edward Bickersteth, 1825-1910 (classical scholar and divine) 1
- Newton, Alfred, 1829-1907 (zoologist) 1
- Parris, Francis Sawyer, 1707-1760 (biblical scholar) 1
- Parry, Sir Charles Hubert Hastings, 1848-1918 (Knight, composer and musical writer) 1
- Pascal, Blaise, 1623-1662 (mathematician and physicist) 1
- Prothero, Sir George Walter, 1848-1922 (Knight, historian) 1
- Rogers, Alfred, fl 1850 (library assistant) 1
- Sandars, Samuel, 1837-1894 (bibliographer and barrister) 1
- Scott, Sir Giles Gilbert, 1880-1960 (Knight and architect) 1
- Sperling, John Hanson, 1825-1894 (clergyman and antiquary) 1
- St John's College, Cambridge 1
- Stanford, Sir Charles Villiers, 1852-1924 (Knight, composer and conductor) 1
- Stewart, Hugh Fraser, 1863-1948 (academic, churchman and literary critic) 1
- Worman, Ernest James, d 1909 (curator and cataloguer) 1 ∧ less