"From the Dardanelles", 1915-02-20 - 1915-12-13
Scope and Contents
Written from Paris, M.M. Paquebot, H.M.S. Dartmouth, H.M.S. Hussar, H.M.S. Euryalus, Moudros on Lemnos and H.M.S. Europa.
Subjects include work done to make Lemnos a naval and military base, Wemyss' work at the Court Room on Lemnos, the small loss of life in British naval ships, the censorship of letters, the retirement of Sir Winston Churchill and Sir John Fisher, Wemyss' views of Australian, American and French troops, his hopes that the Bosphorus and Dardanelles will be internationalised, the success of his Banking Scheme and the recall of Sir Ian Hamilton.
Includes mention of Lord and Lady Acton and Charles Sackville West 4th Baron Sackville.
- 1915-02-20 - 1915-12-13
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for consultation by researchers using Churchill Archives Centre, Churchill College, Cambridge.
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer, Sir, 1874 - 1965 (Knight, statesman and historian)
- Dardanelles campaign (1915-1916)
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Fisher, John Arbuthnot, 1841 - 1920 (1st Baron Fisher of Kilverstone, Admiral of the Fleet)
- Hamilton, Ian Standish Monteith, Sir, 1853 - 1947 (Knight, General)
- From the Fonds: Wemyss, Rosslyn Erskine, 1864 - 1933 (1st Baron Wester Wemyss, Admiral of the Fleet) (Person)
Part of the Churchill Archives Centre Repository
Churchill Archives Centre
Cambridge Cambridgeshire CB3 0DS United Kingdom
+44 (0)1223 336087