Lessingham, Norfolk, 1337 - 1937
Scope and Contents
Documents relating to King's College estates in Lessingham, Norfolk. Includes records from the Abbey of Bec, Normandy. Includes LES/1-/120.
- 1337 - 1937
Conditions Governing Access
ADMINISTRATIVE DOCUMENTS LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD MAY BE SUBJECT TO RESTRICTIONS. ASK THE ARCHIVISTS FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Biographical / Historical
Along with two other Norfolk estates, Horstead and Toft Monks, Lessingham was transferred to King's College from the ownership of Eton by Edward IV in 1462. This was to compensate the College for the seizure of much of its property following the deposition of Henry VI. A former cell of the Abbey of Bec in Normandy, Lessingham remained under the College's ownership until the twentieth century. The original grant also included the advowson of Lessingham rectory. The College sold the Lessingham land, along with nearby Haddiscoe, in 1921.
5 archive box(es) (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Please note that the estate collection is continually receiving new material. Catalogues for estates which have had many additions made during the year will be re-published approximately annually, and the Archive Centre staff are always happy to conduct up-to-date computer searches for any estate. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with enquiries.
Finding aid date
Part of the Archive Centre, King's College, Cambridge Repository
Cambridge CB2 1ST United Kingdom
+44 (0)1223 331444