The Granary, 1920-1922
Scope and Contents
The Granary was built and enlarged ca. 1400-1300 BCE. It was built against the Cyclopean wall to the east of the Lion Gate. Originally at least two storeys high, it now comprises two corridors, two basement rooms and a staircase. The east basement was excavated in 1920 and contained storage jars (pithoi) in which were carbonised remnants of barley, wheat and vetches, hence the designation of this area as a 'Granary'. In 1920 a shaft grave was discovered in the east basement floor, part of the underlying Middle and Late Helladic tombs in the area.
5 photographic print(s) (5 photographs)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Items 1 to 4 are images from the early 1920s but the photographsic prints were made some decades later from the original negatives.
- From the Fonds: Wace, Alan John Bayard, 1879-1957 (archaeologist) (Person)
Part of the University of Cambridge: Faculty of Classics Archives Repository
Faculty of Classics
Cambridge CB3 9DA United Kingdom