Tholos - Epano Phournos Tomb, 1922-1950
Scope and Contents
The Epano Phournos tholos tomb is one of the three earliest tholoi known at Mycenae, dating to 1600-1500 BC. A.J . B. Wace and his team made a partial, exploratory visit in 1922, examining the dromos and doorway. The collapsed north-west jamb and fallen inner lintel both blocked entrance to the chamber, which itself had walls that threatened to collapse. Hence, it was deemed too unsafe to permit investigation of the tholos itself. This tomb, like its near neighbour the Cyclopean tholos, was also constructed of ‘Cyclopean’ masonry. However, it takes its name, situated high on the ridge, of ‘Upper Oven’.
In 1950, the Greek Archaeological Service shored up the collapsed stones to provide entry into the chamber and excavation. This is the origin of the scaffolding evident in the latter photographs in this file.
Language of Materials
Part of the University of Cambridge: Faculty of Classics Archives Repository
Faculty of Classics
Cambridge CB3 9DA United Kingdom