Chamber Tombs - Kalkani hill and Third Kilometre Cemetery, 1920-1932
Scope and Contents
These photographs were first published in 1932 in Chamber Tombs at Mycenae (Society of Antiquaries: Archaeologia 82), as the thirteenth and concluding installment of the definitive report of the 1920-1923 excavations. A. J. B. Wace took many of the photographs himself on site during excavation. In 1920 Carl Blegen assisted him in this task and in 1921 and in 1922 C. A. Boëthius was Wace’s deputy photographer. In 1923 A. J. B. Wace supervised photography of finds at Nauplion museum from 14th to 23rd August in the presence of P. de Jong. Many of the object photographs in the Mycenae Archive are the unedited original print, prior to the cropping of visual evidence of the necessary props of glass shelves and supporting tins from the final published image.
In addition to the official photographic record by the Director of the dig, C. A. Boëthius took his own ‘snaps’ and annotated them with comments in pencil on the verso.
42 item(s) : photographs
Language of Materials
Part of the University of Cambridge: Faculty of Classics Archives Repository
Faculty of Classics
Cambridge CB3 9DA United Kingdom