Halifax Memorial Tower Lions
Scope and Contents
Framed, hand coloured photographs each 275 x 190 mm in frames 380 x 290 mm.
In April 1912, Sir Sandford Fleming, who had given the ground on which the tower was built, suggested that the Royal Colonial Institute might contribute two lions to flank the base of the tower. This proposal was approved by the Institute's Council on 18 June and subscriptions were invited. Two bronze lions, each 10 feet in length, were designed on the general model of those at the base of Nelson's column by Mr. P. Bentham under the supervision of Mr. A. Bruce-Joy, and cast by Ercole J Parlanti at the Alessandro Parlanti bronze foundry. They were presented in 1913.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
.01 cubic metre(s) (1 archival box containing 3 framed images) : photograph
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Good condition, save that Y3064B/3 is unglazed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented in 1948.
This collection level description was entered by SG using information from the original typescript catalogue.
DateText: The date is approximate..
- 2003-12-10 14:08:51+00:00
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com