Letters Patent, Shropham, Hockham, Snetterton and Larling, Norfolk
Scope and Contents
Whereas King Edward had granted to the Master and Chaplains of a certain sanctuary in the church of Dunston, Norfolk, that they might exchange certain property in the village of Barton for property of equal value wherever they wished in England; King Richard now grants to Richard Holdycke of Ondelyngtonne, John Koc, parson of the church of Westoftes, and James de Shirford that they may assign the manor of Shropham called Bradcar Hall in Shropham, Hockham, Snetterton and Larling to the Master and Chaplains and their successors for ever, the Statute of Mortmain not to stand in the way. The initial R is illuminated and an illuminated border extends along the top and both sides of the text, the chief colours being blue, gilt and a dull mauve. The style is reminiscent of French work. A small piece of card states: A D 1386. Grant by King Richard II to the College at Thompson County Norfolk of the Manor of Bradcar, with other lands in Shropham, Hockham, Snetterton and Lirling. Dated Westminster, 8 November 1386. See Blomefield, Norfolk (1805), ii, 368. For similar illumination possibly by the same hand, see New Palaeographical Society Facsimiles II, plate 225 (AD 1394).
- 8 Nov. 1386
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 item(s) (vellum) : vellum
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased by Cambridge University Library from Mr. Thomas Toon, 17 March 1898
- Language of description
- Script of description