Ramsey Abbey: Transcript of cartulary
Scope and Contents
A transcript of Rawlinson MS B.333, a cartulary of Ramsey Abbey, then in the possession of the Bodleian Library, but owned in the early seventeenth century by Sir Henry Spelman. The transcript is followed by a copy of the cartulary of Aylesford Priory (p. 495) and a copy of the Carta de Boxley (p. 537). The later transcripts were probably bound into the volume with the Ramsey Abbey cartulary while in the possession of Sir Thomas Phillipps. The volume contains 558 numbered pages, some of which are blank, with illuminated end-pieces of unknown origin. There is a note at the front, March 1973, describing the volume's contents and provenance.
- 1650 (circa)
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Ramsey transcript was made for the antiquary Sir Roger Twysden (1597-1672). It later passed into the hands of Richard Gough, and was bought at auction by Richard Heber in 1810. It was purchased by Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1836, becoming MS 8130 in his library. In 1935 the volume was sold at auction to F.T. Allen, Esq., of Ramsey Grammar School, Huntingdonshire, whose widow gave it to the governors of the school in 1963. Deposited at the Library by the Governors of the Abbey School, Ramsey, Hunts, 29 March 1973
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org