Correspondence of Henry Jackson and John Peile concerning the status of St. Edmund’s House, Cambridge, 1898
Scope and Contents
St. Edmund’s House was founded in 1896 by the fifteenth Duke of Norfolk and Baron Anatole von Hugel as a hall of residence for Catholic priests and ordinands studying in Cambridge. Two years later von Hugel sought formal recognition for St. Edmund’s as a public hostel of the University through a vote in Senate, a move which polarised opinion in Cambridge and beyond, the opponents raising fears of the malign influence of Rome. The supporters of recognition included two of the most prominent advocates of liberal and reformist views within the University: John Peile, Master of Christ’s, and Henry Jackson, Fellow of Trinity. The correspondence catalogued below illustrates their efforts to drum up support in advance of the vote. This took place during the Congregation of 12 May 1898, the motion for recognition being rejected by a substantial majority (non placet 471, placet 218).
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The correspondence was presented to Cambridge University Library at an unknown date, probably by Henry Jackson. It was afterwards mounted and bound.
- Language of description
- Uncoded languages
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script