Adam Sedgwick: Letters and Papers
Scope and Contents
Section I A-H. Letters to Sedgwick, 1821-1849, relating to English geology, museum accessions, etc. Section II A-Z, AA-II. Letters to Sedgwick, 1850-1872, relating to geology, the work of John William Salter, museum accessions, Lucas Barratt, etc. The correspondents include Harry Govier Seeley, Henry Keeping and Henry Wilkinson Cookson. JJ-OO. Letters to George William Featherstonhaugh and Osmond Fisher, 1827-c.1890s. The correspondents include Sir Richard Owen, Roderick Murchison and his wife, William Buckland, and Charles Lyell. Section III A-C. Letters from Sedgwick collected for his biography, 1820-c.1870s. The correspondents include G.W. Featherstonhaugh and H.G. Seeley. D-G. Transcripts of letters to and from Sedgwick, 1828-1872. The correspondents include R. Murchison, John Beete Jukes, William Willoughby Cole (3rd Earl of Enniskillen), and C. Lyell. H. Notebooks of Sedgwick and the Rev. Holmes of Freckenham, near Newmarket. I. Letters about the Sedgwick Memorial, 1873. Section IV A-D. Letters to Professor Robert Harkness, c.1851-1878. The correspondents include Sedgwick, R. Murchison and C. Lyell. Section V A-S. Papers of Thomas McKenny Hughes, 1818-1916. Material mainly connected with Hughes's work on theLife and letters of the Reverend Adam Sedwick, such as publications by Sedgwick, letters about Sedgwick, and Hughes's own notes, with correspondence and reviews of the finished biography. The correspondents include John George Goodchild, Thomas Davidson, Charles John Adrian Meÿer, Valentine Searles Wood senior, and Valentine Searles Wood junior.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
14 archive box(es) (14 boxes)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
A full catalogue is available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. There is also a card index to the collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Department of Geology, 1964.
- British Association
- Buckland, William, 1784-1856 (Dean of Westminster Geologist)
- Cambridge Philosophical Society
- Cookson, Henry Wilkinson, 1810-1876 (Master of Peterhouse Cambridge)
- Featherstonhaugh, George William, 1780-1866 (Geologist and Diplomat)
- Harkness, Robert, 1816-1878 (geologist)
- Hughes, Thomas McKenny, 1832-1917 (geologist)
- Jukes, Joseph Beete, 1811-1869 (geologist)
- Lyell, Sir Charles, 1797-1875 (1st Baronet, geologist)
- Murchison, Sir Roderick Impey, 1792-1871 (1st Baronet, geologist)
- Owen, Sir Richard, 1804-1892 (Knight, naturalist)
- Royal Society
- Salter, John William, 1820-1869 (palaeontologist)
- Seeley, Harry Govier, 1839-1909 (geologist and palaeontologist)
- University of Cambridge
- Wood, Searles Valentine, 1798-1880 (geologist)
- Language of description
- Script of description