William Cole: Lives of Seven Bishops of Ely
Scope and Contents
A collection of the biographies of seven bishops of Ely, 1438-1515, including: (fo. 1) Lewis de Luxemburgh; (fo. 13) William Gray (sic); (fo. 23) John Morton; (fo. 43) John Alcock; (fo. 55) Richard Redman; (fo. 71) James Stanley; (fo. 79) Nicholas West (sic). The lives are numbered XXIV to XXXI, with the omission of XXV. The versos are blank, except for occasional notes and additional matter. Copious references to authorities appear in the margin. Inside the front cover are the bookplates of Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart, and of Samuel Sandars. On a fly-leaf is a pasted slip describing the contents and 'This MS was written in 1768'.
- Cole, William, 1714-1782 (antiquary) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume (93 folios))
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed by Samuel Sandars, 1894.
- Alcock, John, 1430-1500 (administrator and bishop of Ely)
- Ely, Cambridgeshire
- Grey, William, ? 1414-1478 (bishop of Ely)
- Morton, John, ? 1420-1500 (Archbishop of Canterbury and Bishop of Ely)
- Redman, Richard, d 1505 (Bishop of Ely)
- Stanley, James, c 1465-1515 (Bishop of Ely)
- West, Nicholas, d 1533 (Bishop of Ely)
- Language of description
- Script of description