Royal Colonial Institute Freemasonry Collection
Scope and Contents
A collection of books, pamphlets and ephemera relating to Freemasonry.
- 1917 - 1956
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
In 1912 a masonic lodge was formed at the Royal Colonial Institute ‘for the purpose of enhancing the ties of Empire and Craft and as an additional bond between the Resident and Non-Resident Fellows and Members’. It was consecrated in the Grand Temple at Freemason’s Hall on 10 January 1912, when Lord Ampthill, the pro-grand master of English masonry, was the principal officiant. The lodge was called the Royal Colonial Institute Lodge. Its first master was the grand master, the Duke of Connaught, Governor-General of Canada and a former president of the RCI (1910-12). The numbers of freemasons at the society increased steadily, and by 1924 a United Empire Lodge, a Mark Lodge, a Royal Arch and Rose Croix Chapters had also been established.
1 archive box(es) (1 box) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
This collection level description was created by MJC.
- 2016-06-08 11:24:33+00:00
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com