Copies of official letters relating to the diocese of Chester
Scope and Contents
Mostly from the privy council to William Chaderton, bishop of Chester, and, subsequently, bishop of Lincoln.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume paper) : paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
According to Peck, the MS. once belonged to William Chaderton, bishop of Lincoln (Desiderata Curiosa, 1779 edn, p. xv). On the original cover of the book (which consists of two leaves from a 14th cent. missal), appear the words, 'This book belonges to Dr Tanner'. In 1732, the date of the first edition of Peck's work, the MS. was in the possession of Samuel Knight DD, prebend of Ely and rector of Bluntisham, Hunts. (see 1779 edn p. xv). After Knight's death in 1746, the MS descended to John Percy Baumgartner of Milton, Cambs., who presented it to the Library in 1859.
- Language of description
- Script of description