Scope and Contents
An album containing uncaptioned prints of various sizes, showing scenery and rest houses on the Summit Road. Photographs by C. Beken and others. The Summit Road owes its existence chiefly to the dedication and perseverance of Harry George Ell (1862-1934) who fought and planned for many years for the building of the scenic road which follows the summits of the hills overlooking Christchurch and Lyttleton Harbour. He originally envisaged 53 miles of road from Godley Head to Akaroa, with rest houses built along the way. As it stands today the visitor can travel along 18 miles of sealed roads from Gebbies Pass to Evans Pass, and after a short break in the road, continue to Godley Head. This album contains no pictures of the 'Sign of the Takahe', the gothic rest house built by hand by Ell and fellow devotees to the cause of conservation, since this was not completed until after his death, although started in 1918.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 album(s) (24 images in 1 album)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection is available on microfiche: Australasia, fiche number 88.
This collection level description was entered by SG using information from the original typescript catalogue.
- 2003-12-22 10:30:54+00:00
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com