Admission (copy), Sutton, Cambridgeshire
Scope and Contents
Certifying that William Cawthorn of Chatteris, farmer, having surrendered on 14 Aug 1807 by the hands of William Jellings in the presence of William Palmer his 6 acres of copyhold fen or marsh ground in Sutton Long North Fen 'called the Middle Lot', manor of Sutton, late Peacock's, to the use of the present occupant, his brother Philip Cawthorne of Chatteris, farmer, and his heirs (Doc 1785), Philip Cawthorne is now formally admitted tenant to the property at the unchanged annual rent of 2s 8d. Reference is made to William's admission on 13 May 1800, following the death of his father Freeman Cawthorne. Copy of court roll, examined by Hugh Robert Evans gent, deputy steward of the court, duty stamp. Lords of the manor are the dean (William Pearce DD) and chapter of Ely Cathedral, and the steward is James Yorke esq. Endorsed in pencil: 'Bundle 4'.
- 25 Apr. 1808
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 item(s) (vellum) : vellum
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented by E.A.B. Barnard, F.S.A., November 1931
- Language of description
- Script of description