Correspondence on the move to Herstmonceux, 1949 - 1952
Scope and Contents
1. Correspondence concerning the vacation of the Royal Air Force domestic camp within the boundaries of the Admiralty's estates at Herstmonceux.
2. Correspondence concerning street lighting in the area surrounding Herstmonceux.
3. Correspondence with the British Electric Authority, London division, regarding compensation for damage to instruments at the Royal Greenwich Observatory from the fumes from the Deptford generating station.
4. Copy of letters from H. Spencer Jones to the Hydrographer concerning observations of night sky brightness at Herstmonceux.
5. Correspondence regarding the proposed planned provision for completion of the removal to Herstmonceux and the estimated cost of Vote 10 work.
6. Correspondence concerning the heating system for Herstmonceux Castle.
7. Correspondence concerning the spectroheliograph cellar.
8. Correspondence regarding the photographic requirements for the photographic section.
9. Correspondence between H. Spencer Jones and R. Atkinson regarding the minimum angle of dip to the azimuth marks.
10. Statement of requirements for the Equatorial Group.
11. Correspondence regarding housing for staff.
12. Correspondence regarding telescope dome security.
13. Correspondence regarding the layout of the library.
14. Correspondence regarding the layout of the workshop.
15. Correspondence with the civil engineer concerning the widening of Worthing Road.
16. Notes of a meeting held at the Admiralty on 14 June 1949 to consider the possible economies on stage III works at the Royal Observatory, Herstmonceux.
17. Notes of a meeting held on 22 March 1949 to consider the question of the admission of the public to the grounds of Herstmonceux Castle.
(2) Correspondence with the civil engineer, Chatham, regarding the Herstmonceux Castle grounds and observatory buildings.
1. Correspondence regarding the west entrance hall and construction of a messengers' lobby.
2. Correspondence regarding the spectroheliograph coelostat housing.
3. Correspondence regarding the Solar Building.
4. Correspondence between the civil engineer, Chatham, and H. Spencer Jones concerning stonework repairs to the castle, with mention of the arms and heraldic devices over the south entrance.
5. Correspondence regarding the library.
6. Correspondence regarding an emergency motor/alternator.
7. Correspondence regarding trees and fencing on the Castle estates.
8. Correspondence regarding the requirements to complete the construction of the rating and store rooms for the Chronometer Department.
9. Correspondence regarding electrical requirements.
10. Correspondence regarding security arrangements.
(3) Correspondence regarding fuel and furniture for Herstmonceux Castle.
(4) Correspondence regarding Herstmonceux grounds and the proposed policy for management by the surveyor of lands, H.M. Dockyard, Chatham.
(5) Correspondence regarding housing for staff.
(6) Miscellaneous correspondence regarding street lighting, fire fighting equipment and rent and rates for the Astronomer Royal's residence.
- 1949 - 1952
Conditions Governing Access
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- From the Series: Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)