Skip to main content

Correspondence on the Observatory and Herstmonceux, 1956 - 1959

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/2

Scope and Contents

Correspondence and some related papers regarding Herstmonceux Castle and the Royal Greenwich Observatory, including the following items:

Correspondence regarding the 1958 Public Records Act, 1959.

Correspondence regarding the opening of the Castle grounds to the public, 1959.

Correspondence regarding the visit of Lord Euston, a representative of the National Trust, 1959.

Correspondence regarding the layout and management of the Castle grounds, 1959.

Copy of the 'Fifth Report of the Select Committee on Estimates 1956/57', regarding gardeners at Herstmonceux, 1958.

Correspondence regarding the use of the Castle grounds for charity fetes, 1958.

Correspondence regarding the visit of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh on 14 November 1958, a descriptive list of instruments and departments to be visited by the Duke of Edinburgh, and a letter of appreciation sent by John Severne from Buckingham Palace following the Duke's visit, 1956-1958.

Correspondence regarding the future of geomagnetic work in the United Kingdom, 1958.

Correspondence between Richard Woolley and the Admiralty regarding the fact that all telescopes at the Royal Greenwich Observatory were mounted and working on 16 September 1958.

Correspondence with Messrs Veitch, Penny and Harwood regarding a copy of the death certificate of Sir Frank Dyson, 1958.

Copy of the 'Second Address to Association of Astronomers' of 24 October 1957.

Draft document by H.M. Smith titled 'Time Signals from Herstmonceux', 1957.

Correspondence between Gavin De Beer of the British Museum and Dr Eggen regarding the Board of Longitude letters and some Flamsteed letters in the Paris Observatory, 1957.

Notes on 'The Relationship between the Royal Observatory and the Admiralty' prepared by R. Atkinson in 1949.

Copy of a letter from R. Woolley to Miss Anna Airy concerning the autobiography of Sir G.B. Airy, 1957.

Correspondence concerning a pair of swans for Herstmonceux Castle, 1957.

Address to the Staff Association, 15 January 1957.


  • Creation: 1956 - 1959


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)

Language of Materials


Former / Other Reference


Finding aid date

2006-06-07 11:47:49+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom