Correspondence on the Observatory's removal, 1946 - 1949
Scope and Contents
Correspondence regarding the removal of the Royal Observatory to Herstmonceux, including letters from the public concerning the move; correspondence with the Admiralty; material relating to the agreement for the sale of Herstmonceux Castle; correspondence with P. Latham; a letter from the Bishop of Chichester regarding the chapel; correspondence regarding the developments which might prove detrimental to the Observatory; material on the housing of staff; correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co. Ltd concerning the dismantling of the telescopes; plans and correspondence on the proposed sites for the telescopes; material concerning the Solar Building and Spectro-heliograph Cellar and the Library; correspondence on the furnishing for the Astronomer Royal's residence; miscellaneous correspondence regarding buildings, finance, alterations, locks, telephones, electricity and fire prevention; minutes of the Royal Astronomical Society's meeting, 9 April 1947, discussing the Observatory's removal; correspondence on the transfer of the Nautical Almanac Office and the Chronometer Depot; and papers concerning soil samples taken on 28 September 1948.
- 1946 - 1949
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- From the Series: Dyson, Frank Watson, Sir, 1868 - 1939 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)