Papers on chronometers, 1922 - 1929
Scope and Contents
(1) Miscellaneous papers, 1922-1929
Papers from chronometer-makers and the public concerning the following subjects:
1. The supply to the Royal Observatory of relays, batteries for time signals, non-magnetic watches, accumulators, carbon-dioxide gas and cylinders, ammeters, agate contact wheels, aerial protectors, thermostats, thermometers and magnets.
2. Circulars for chronometers, oil, dry roll batteries and spare parts.
3. Appointments to visit the Royal Observatory.
4. Requests for time signals, chronometer trial results, placements of time pieces in trials, chronometer trials at Hamburg, makes of high-precision pendulums, the re-setting of chronometers, dock charges, servicing the refrigerating machine and photographing chronometers.
5. Information regarding specific time pieces, makers of clocks, marine chronometers, making sundials, the desirability of wrist rather than pocket watches, errors in the time signal and faults in chronometers.
6. Notice of the death of Mr Searle.
(2) Papers regarding repairs to the John Shelton 32-day clock, 1922-1925
1. History of the clock and its current condition.
2. Requests made to E. Dent and Co. to inspect the clock.
3. The value and usefulness of the clock and its proposed overhaul for a clock regulating a time signal.
4. Sanction by E.H. Chapman for the repairs and an estimate by E. Dent and Co. for the overhaul.
5. The carrying out of the repairs and their payment and invoicing.
6. Estimate from V. Kullberg for work on a pendulum and contacts for the hourly signals for the clock.
7. Extract from 'Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society', 1762, regarding Shelton's clock.
(3) Papers regarding a new clock for the Royal Exchange, 1922-1924
Material on the following subjects:
Appointment for F.D. Watney and F.W. Dyson to discuss the clock, 1922.
Specifications for the new clock, with comments by F.W. Dyson, sent to Gillett and Johnston by F.D. Watney, 1922.
Meeting between F.W. Dyson and Gillet and Johnston to discuss the clock, 1922.
Revised specification for the Royal Exchange clock, forwarded by F.D. Watney, 1922.
Sanction by F.D. Watney for Gillett and Johnston to start building the clock, 1923.
F.D. Watney's suggestion of a telephone link for the clock, 1923.
Request by Gillett and Johnston and F.D. Watney for tests on the clock, which were performed and found to be satisfactory by F.W. Dyson, 1924.
Letter of thanks from Gillett and Johnston for F.W. Dyson's recommendation, 1924.
Adjustments carried out on the clock by Gillett and Johnston to rectify teething problems, 1923.
F.D. Watney's thanks to F.W. Dyson for investigating the problems with the clock, 1923.
F.W. Dyson's report on the clock's poor timekeeping, 1923.
Gillett and Johnston's plans to improve the rating of the clock, 1923.
Further report by F.W. Dyson regarding the clock's rate, acknowledged by F.D. Watney, 1923.
Request for further tests on the clock by F.D. Watney and Gillett and Johnston, 1924.
Part payment of the money owed to Gillett and Johnston by F.D. Watney, 1924.
Gillett and Johnston's explanation of the errors, 1924.
F.D. Watney's request for further trials of the clock, 1924.
Meteorological records during previous trials, 1924.
Gillett and Johnston's explanations for the errors and a request for weather conditions sent by the Royal Observatory, 1924.
Recommendations that the final payment should not be paid to Gillett and Johnston due to the poor timekeeping of the clock, 1924.
Acknowledgement by F.D. Watney, with payment for G.W. Rickett's expenses, 1924.
- 1922 - 1929
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date