Papers on the Royal Astronomical Society, 1883 - 1912
Scope and Contents
(1) Reviews of Royal Astronomical Society papers, 1895-1906
Review of Mr Thackeray's paper on Polaris by H.H. Turner, 1895.
Review of D. Gill and Mr Jacoby's 'Errors of Cape Reseau Gaulier No 8' by Christie, 1896.
Review of Gill's instrument for measuring astro-photographic plates by Christie, 1898.
Review of Rambout's Radcliffe observations of 1774-1838 by F.W. Dyson and Christie, 1900.
Criticisms of the Greenwich sector diagrams of declination and horizontal force, 1841-1876, and Dr C. Cree's paper on the Falmouth magnetographs of sunspots, 1906.
(2) Royal Astronomical Society Club invitations to dinner, 1883-1888, with offers of membership and a request to Christie to take the chair.
(3) Miscellaneous papers regarding the Royal Astronomical Society, 1894-1912
Papers concerning the following subjects:
Notification of the change in the hour for meetings, 1894.
Complaint about the procedure at meetings, 1896.
Subscription on behalf of W.H. Wesley, 1896.
Cost of printing the 'Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society', 1907.
Use of tubolite lighting for showing comet photographs, 1908.
Arrangements for a conversazione and a list of exhibits, 1909.
Deputation to the King led by D. Gill, 1910.
Invitation to the Coronation ceremony, 1911.
Request for pecuniary assistance by F.W. Herkel, 1912.
- 1883 - 1912
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
V10, V12, V15
Finding aid date
- Chree, Charles, 1860 - 1928 (astronomer)
- Dyson, Frank Watson, Sir, 1868 - 1939 (Knight, astronomer)
- Gill, David, Sir, 1843 - 1914 (Knight, astronomer)
- Royal Astronomical Society
- Thackeray, William Grasett, 1936 (assistant at Royal Observatory)
- Turner, Herbert Hall, 1861 - 1930 (astronomer and seismologist)